• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Spanish Sparrow open doors (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

Finished 9 days bird watching on Malta today and going to Sweden for Crane Dance and Black Grouse lek

I have not been drinking alcohol or any drugs for many many years. But I still cannot believe what I saw this morning.

Sitting in the departure hall drinking tea and one sparrow flew to the doors to the smoking terrace. I was really in pain for the bird flying in to the door, but, just before the bird hit the door it turned sharp right and flew a circle and out through the door that had opened when the bird activated the door sensor.

I was about to fall off the chair!!!! I pointed at the door asking the Waiter if the bird made it. He told me that the bird always do that, fly by to activate the door opening and then make a circle and fly out.

Anyone ever seen this? I cannot believe what I saw!

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Tired

United States
That's very clever of the little thing. I wonder how the sparrows learned to do it?

Birds are smarter than people think. Crows and ravens can solve complex puzzles, chickens can solve slightly simpler puzzles and even do some basic addition, and of course parrots are almost absurdly intelligent. What you're describing is roughly the equivalent of a bird learning that pecking a button dispenses food, only in this case, flying in a certain spot dispenses an open door.

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
That's very clever of the little thing. I wonder how the sparrows learned to do it?

Birds are smarter than people think. Crows and ravens can solve complex puzzles, chickens can solve slightly simpler puzzles and even do some basic addition, and of course parrots are almost absurdly intelligent. What you're describing is roughly the equivalent of a bird learning that pecking a button dispenses food, only in this case, flying in a certain spot dispenses an open door.
Thank you!

I am still not sure what I saw. Do birds have the perception of indoor and outdoor? Do they know what glass is? And the biggest mystery for me, how do they know it is glass? Other birds fly into the glass.

So for me they must have hit the glass to learn that they cannot fly straight out. And then, how do they communicate this to other birds?

It was fun to see and I was watching with open mouth pointing at the door and the waiter told me that they are smart and he see it all the time.

And you re right, they are clever but I never ceases to be amazed

Thanks again and happy Easter
Aladdin

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Thanks for posting this Aladdin.... that really is a Happy Easter tale.

I'd love to see that, so you must go back again and take a video of it! 😁

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
Thanks for posting this Aladdin.... that really is a Happy Easter tale.

I'd love to see that, so you must go back again and take a video of it! 😁
Thanks!

Believe me, I would have given my right arm to have that on video. But if anyone go birding on Malta. Sit in the departure hall looking at the glass doors to the outdoor smoking area. Keep the video camera ready.

But I will for sure keep it in mind if I go back!

Happy Easter
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread