• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sparrow in Central Park, New York (1 Viewer)

jocateme

I was looking at some old pictures and ran into this one, taken about 4 years ago in Central Park. Not sure what sp. of Sparrow this is. Anyone can help?

Attachments

• DSC08468.jpg
    DSC08468.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 101

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
I was looking at some old pictures and ran into this one, taken about 4 years ago in Central Park. Not sure what sp. of Sparrow this is. Anyone can help?

Hello João.

Have you posted an image?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

jocateme

Wow, really? Those brown stripes seemed so different, and you guys have so many sparrows up there, maybe I got confused.

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
Why not American Tree Sparrow with that mark in the middle of the breast?

The bill color (it's not bicolored) is wrong, as is the bulky shape, for a start. The blurry streaking on the sides of the chest is another White-throated feature.

spacepilot

apbarr, as Microtus said, among other things body proportions and facial features (all dark bill, gray face) eliminates American Tree Sparrow. The dark spot you see is an 'artifact' created by the orientation of the breast feathers. See this article for a discussion of the central breast spot.

apbarr

Thanks for the clarification, bill colour should have been an obvious feature aginst AT Sparrow

Users who are viewing this thread