• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk or goshawk? Notts UK garden (1 Viewer)

Arky99

I've had mixed opinions on whether this bird is a sparrowhawk or goshawk. It was about the size of a typical pigeon I think. It was on my garden fence in a small country village in Nottinghamshire UK. There are many arable fields plus livestock fields, and areas of woodland, with a local beck. Would anyone be able to give the answer, with reasoning? Many thanks

Attachments

• _7170403 2.jpeg
    _7170403 2.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 73
  • _7170425 2.jpeg
    _7170425 2.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 51
Thank you for your quick reply! Is it because of its size?

Goshawk is also a rare bird in Notts and very unlikely in an urban setting, at least it was when I birded county wide.

Back in the 90's anyway, the only place I heard of them being seen with any relgularity, was at the Honey Buzzard lookout point near Clumber Park.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back