• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk question :) (1 Viewer)

Joe94

United Kingdom
Hey all,

So I have just had a beautiful Sparrowhawk land on one of our garden fences, which was amazing to see & unfortunately I didn’t manage to swing the camera round quick enough before it flew off.

However it just got me wondering whether having one around would deter small birds from feedings (sparrows ect) & deter other birds being attracted to the feeders over the coming weeks?

I have read that although they can eat small birds, we should treat them visiting a garden as a good thing? We have daily hovering of Red Kyte‘s to & they don’t seem to deter them, but never had something large like that land as the Sparrowhawk did...

Im probably worrying about nothing, but just wanted to check because I’m now had a second visit from the blue tit too so hoping he might start feeding soon :) & in fact as iv just finished writing this, the sparrows have just come down to the feeder haha 😂 so I think I have answered my own questio! But still worth a reassurance :)

Thanks everyone, I’m really enjoying watching my new feeder station & this weekend am going to add some large pot plants around the bottom of the feeders to offer small birds some extra comfort :)

I can always tell when our local Sparrowhawk is around - the House Sparrows (usually c. 100) go crazy then fall silent! They certainly aren't discouraged from our feeders, nor the Tits etc.

HTH

Chris

We get sparrowhawks visiting and the small birds usually all disappear for a short while until the sparrowhawk leaves. They soon return. The sparrowhawk tends to take woodpigeons in our garden.

We get sparrowhawks visiting and the small birds usually all disappear for a short while until the sparrowhawk leaves. They soon return. The sparrowhawk tends to take woodpigeons in our garden.
Ahh thank you for the reassurance :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back