• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk? S Thailand, February 15, 2023 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, is it possible to id the raptor from the attached photos, even to genus level? Of course, if species id is possible that would be much appreciated:). Only 1 photo taken, in Southeast Thailand (Hat Yai, Songkhla province) around 10:30 am on February 15; the other two are my poor attempts to make it easier to identify.

I was thinking of sparrowhawk due to the long tail and what appear to be several white spots on the neck. But maybe there is some other diagnostic feature(s) that I am missing. Only Japanese has been recorded in e-bird at this time of year here.

Not sure if it is the same bird that was soaring and making a few circles. If so then I guess a sparrowhawk would be unlikely? Terrain is city edge, so buildings, fields and trees/bush.
Thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• DSCN2026.JPG
    DSCN2026.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
  • fullsizeoutput_180e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_180e.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 89
  • fullsizeoutput_180f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_180f.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 89
Not identifiable to me ... i am even wondering if that is a raptor at all-could also perhaps be some kind of cuckoo???

But yes, Accipiter species, including sparrowhawk can also soar and make circles ....

Thanks Joern, I was hoping that there might be some clue even in such a poor photo that I did not have the experience to see. Appreciate the point about Accipiters.
Thank you again for taking the time to look at the photo and more time to send your message.
steve

Thanks Butty, now I am really sorry the photo was so bad:) I have not seen any of the larger cuckoos around here. I am thinking larger because of the tail length. Oh well, the search continues.
thanks again for looking and taking the time to comment.
steve

Hi, is it possible to id the raptor from the attached photos, even to genus level? Of course, if species id is possible that would be much appreciated:). Only 1 photo taken, in Southeast Thailand (Hat Yai, Songkhla province) around 10:30 am on February 15; the other two are my poor attempts to make it easier to identify.

I was thinking of sparrowhawk due to the long tail and what appear to be several white spots on the neck. But maybe there is some other diagnostic feature(s) that I am missing. Only Japanese has been recorded in e-bird at this time of year here.

Not sure if it is the same bird that was soaring and making a few circles. If so then I guess a sparrowhawk would be unlikely? Terrain is city edge, so buildings, fields and trees/bush.
Thank you in advance
steve
Going through some older threads just chanced upon this which, Butty correctly suggests cuckoo sp., a 2cy Indian Cuckoo in fact Steve, the broad buff tips to the scapulars and greater coverts confirm. Also you can just about make out the dark tip to the tail. The buff tips are unmoulted juvenile feathers which can be retained well into the spring.

Grahame

All i can say is Wow!!! and thank you very much Grahame, wow for being able to identify it and for taking the time to do so and to be perusing old files. But especially for being able to identify it and taking the time for doing so. That is very much appreciated.
all the best
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back