• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows (1 Viewer)

tonya.ch

Ukraine
Hello! Please tell me how to get rid of annoying sparrows in my garden? In anticipation of the harvest, I'm afraid that they will eat all the berries, as was the case last year.

Hi tonya and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sparrows (both house and tree) are species under threat so it's not a good idea to try and get rid of them. They both mainly feed on seeds and insects, so perhaps putting a seed feeding station a bit away from the area with the fruit will help.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi tonya and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sparrows (both house and tree) are species under threat so it's not a good idea to try and get rid of them. They both mainly feed on seeds and insects, so perhaps putting a seed feeding station a bit away from the area with the fruit will help.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you! I don't want to get rid of them)) I just need them not to be in my garden

A feeder elsewhere should help distract them. You may see some places advertising bird mesh to cover bushes and trees, but this mesh can easily entangle birds, so it's not a great idea.

Birds don't generally like flashing things. If you can find some old CDs and hang them so that they spin in the wind, the flashing of the reflective underside may discourage them. A fake snake, regularly moved around, may also scare them off.

I've read of people painting small, inedible objects (like pebbles) to look like fruit and scattering them around the plants, before the berries ripen. The idea is that the birds might decide that this particular bush produces inedible berries, and leave it alone when it does actually fruit. Supposedly it's effective to get them to leave strawberries alone. May work here.

That said, sparrows don't really eat berries, so you may have had something else turn up last year.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi Tonya! Best regards!
Are you sure it's sparrows?
They just look a lot like starlings.
The exact description of the sparrow is at the link:
Come in and make sure it's them.
Then let me know and I'll help you!

Hi Tonya! Best regards!
Are you sure it's sparrows?
They just look a lot like starlings.
The exact description of the sparrow is at the link:
Come in and make sure it's them.
Then let me know and I'll help you!
Thanks for the clarification! That's exactly what they are. I'll remember for the rest of my life how they pecked at my berries...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back