• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Species not found on eBird (1 Viewer)

JGobeil

Nature Photographer
I can not find nor register these 2 species on eBird:
  1. Swallow-tailed Kite
  2. Purple Swamphen

Would anybody know why ?

Hi Jules

I don't know about the kite (maybe double-check your spelling/spacing/hyphenation??), but this may help regarding the swamphen. They were split some time ago.

Not sure about Swallow-tailed Kite, which I could find with exactly those words. The Swamphen has been split into a lot of different species, so search under Swamphen (unless you're thinking of Purple Gallinule?).

The kite is definitely listed on eBird:
https://ebird.org/species/swtkit
Check your spelling. [ If you're trying to report it outside its normal range, look for an additional checkbox "report rarities" or something, I forget. -- never mind, this is the Florida forum.]

Since you're posting in the Florida forum, I think your swamp-hen is the bird now called Purple Gallinule (recent name change):
https://ebird.org/species/purgal2/

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies.

I am trying to report activities for sightings in Florida.

I am from Quebec Canada and the problem with the Kite seems to be a language problem. The French name used to be "Milan à queue fourchue" but it has been changed to "Naucler à queue fourchue". To make matters worse, eBird will not find "Swallow-tailed Kite" if I search in English. Anyway, I was able to register it in French using the new name.

The Purple Swamphen I saw at Green Cay is not listed in eBird but the Grey-headed Swamphen is. I identified it as a Purple Swamphen using the Sibley Guide (2003 Edition), which does not list the Grey-headed Swamphen but it is probably a GHS. I was able to register it as GHS.

So all is well my 2 species are registered. Thanks again !

The 'purple swamphen' which is an invasive species to Florida, but fairly well established, has been re-named or re-classified as the grey-headed swamphen, which really seems to have taken root over the past 5-6 years...prior to that, purple swamphen was always used - now, grey-headed swamphen is the accepted name. They are indeed one in the same. At Green Cay and Wakodahatchee, and throughout Broward county as well, you will have seen the grey-headed swamphen (formerly purple swamphen).
The purple gallinule is of course a separate, native species to S. Florida.

As to why the swallow-tailed kite didn't show in e-bird...it should. I did a quick search and found this:
https://ebird.org/species/swtkit?siteLanguage=en_US

Glad you had a good birding trip down here, and found all of your species to register. Love your hometown and wish I could get back up there again soon - gorgeous city and beautiful part of the country.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back