• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"species novum" (1 Viewer)

l_raty

laurent raty
I get the feeling that I see this wannabe Latin locution with an increasing frequency in descriptions.
Its use was apparently recommended in the 1994 edition of the [CBE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers], where the noun [varietas] was equally suddenly declared neuter. Before this, it appears to have been exceptional.

[Species] is a feminine Latin noun; "species novum" is bad grammar.

Last edited:
I guess this must have been bugging you for quite a while Laurent ... ;)

But I agree, you would expect the Council of Biology Editors Inc. to know better. Even I use the nova version!

And I know just about nothing of Latin!

/B

PS. As do Wiki.

I get the feeling that I see this wannabe Latin locution with an increasing frequency in descriptions.
Its use was apparently recommended in the 1994 edition of the [CBE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers], where the noun [varietas] was equally suddenly declared neuter. Before this, it appears to have been exceptional.

[Species] is a feminine Latin noun; "species novum" is bad grammar.

I asked one the self-declared experts in Latin how you name after a person and got the answer that you always add an "i" after the name. Only to learn, after it was too late to change olallai to olallae, that if the name ends with an "a" it should end "ae". The ending "ai" should be avoided (as for example done in Turdus feae).

Only to learn, after it was too late to change olallai to olallae, that if the name ends with an "a" it should end "ae". The ending "ai" should be avoided (as for example done in Turdus feae).

I hope I'm not digressing too much from the original post, but I found these issues to be very interesting (note that I have only an amateur knowledge of linguistics!... but I always try to learn a bit more whenever possible) and thought these would be interesting to someone else:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Latin/Lesson_2-Genitive_and_Dative
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_declension

When naming a species after someone/something, the Latin genitive case is to be used (Laurent, please correct me if this is wrong) and the correct suffix to be applied has to do with the declension the original word belongs to. And if more than one person with the same name is celebrated in a species name, then the termination would be again different (hypothetically, if a species was intended to be named after 2 people called Fea at once, then the right name to use would be fearum).

Last edited:
feaorum , if named after two or more men (or man and woman) I think
I had the same doubt, but as per the links above ("first declension, a stems"), the plural genitive of "aqua" is "aquarum", and not "aquaorum", so I expect it would be the same with Fea? What do you think?

EDIT: I had a mistake on my previous post! I intended to write "genitive case", but wrote "dative case"... ooops!

Last edited:
How non-Latin personal names are dealt with in scientific names is nomenclatural convention, more than 'really' Latin, I think.

I prefer to see personal names in -a treated as Latin a-stem words, under 31.1.1 -- e.g., for Fea, the gen. sing. is feae, and the gen. plur. fearum, whatever the gender of the concerned Fea(s). But others can have different feelings, and I won't try to impose my preference to the world. The Code accepts equally, under 31.1.2, names formed 'mechanistically', by the addition of -ae (fem. sing.), -i (masc. sing.), -arum (fem. plur.), or -orum (masc. plur.) to the stem of the personal name, as chosen by the author of the species-group name. (Under this provision, feaae / feai / feaarum / feaorum (stem chosen to be fea-), or feae / fei / fearum / feorum (stem chosen to be fe-), are all potentially correct.)

A personal name can also be used in the nominative (i.e., just fea, in apposition to the generic name; the Code recommends to avoid this, however -- "in order to avoid the appearance that the species-group name is a citation of the authorship of the generic name"), or be turned into an adjective (e.g., feanus, -a, -um; to agree in gender with the generic name).

How non-Latin personal names are dealt with in scientific names is nomenclatural convention, more than 'really' Latin, I think.

I prefer to see personal names in -a treated as Latin a-stem words, under 31.1.1 -- e.g., for Fea, the gen. sing. is feae, and the gen. plur. fearum, whatever the gender of the concerned Fea(s). But others can have different feelings, and I won't try to impose my preference to the world. The Code accepts equally, under 31.1.2, names formed 'mechanistically', by the addition of -ae (fem. sing.), -i (masc. sing.), -arum (fem. plur.), or -orum (masc. plur.) to the stem of the personal name, as chosen by the author of the species-group name. (Under this provision, feaae / feai / feaarum / feaorum (stem chosen to be fea-), or feae / fei / fearum / feorum (stem chosen to be fe-), are all potentially correct.)

A personal name can also be used in the nominative (i.e., just fea, in apposition to the generic name; the Code recommends to avoid this, however -- "in order to avoid the appearance that the species-group name is a citation of the authorship of the generic name"), or be turned into an adjective (e.g., feanus, -a, -um; to agree in gender with the generic name).

Many thanks for the clarification! All very interesting...!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back