• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Spider in blue tit box (2 Viewers)

Mantis

We have a camera box. Last year, when cleaning it out, we found a large spider which we are fairly sure was steatoda nobilis, the false widow. This year we have seen one inside again, via the webcam. Would it be dangerous to nestlings, should a bird decide to nest? There has been some interest from two different pairs of blue tits, and a great tit has also paid a visit. Should we clean out the box again, or will a new occupant deal with the spider?

YuShan

We have a camera box. Last year, when cleaning it out, we found a large spider which we are fairly sure was steatoda nobilis, the false widow. This year we have seen one inside again, via the webcam. Would it be dangerous to nestlings, should a bird decide to nest? There has been some interest from two different pairs of blue tits, and a great tit has also paid a visit. Should we clean out the box again, or will a new occupant deal with the spider?

I'm pretty sure they will deal with it. I have seen (via webcam) my Great Tit taking out a spider and killing a wasp by decapitating it.

Users who are viewing this thread