• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Spoon-billed Sandpiper in Thailand (1 Viewer)

Mike Hunter

My wife and I have two full days in Thailand looking for waders, on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th November. Main targets are Spoon-billed Sandpiper and 'White-faced' Plover, though I'm also keen to see Asiatic Dowitcher and Nordmann's Greenshank having not seen either for nearly 20 years.

If anyone wants to team up or share gen on separate trips then it would be good to hear from you.

Thanks.

Mike (and Denise) Hunter

cassowary

Spoon-billed Sandpiper - the best spot is the place near the sign with the picture of the bird - look for other birders- it's appearance at the site is apparently not based on time of day or tide. I've seen it/them most times I've visited the spot.

White faced plover is easy but you need to organize the boat out to the island.

A good spot for Nordmann's Greenshank is about 1 mile driving north from kings project the main road bends left however a dirt track on the right takes you to a number of ponds. a few hundred yards on the right of the dirt track is a reliable spot. Asiatic dowitcher has also frequented this spot and also near the abandoned building spot south of kings project.

The exact locations with dates/numbers are on e-bird.

see links:

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...r=2012&eYear=2016&continue.x=44&continue.y=15

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/spbsan1?....616&env.maxX=105.639&env.maxY=20.463&gp=true

I'll probably be there in the new year.

Last edited:

Mike Hunter

Hi Fooon and cassowary

thanks for info - I would have replied earlier but I thought I got an email from BF saying someone had contributed to a thread - so not checked until now. Good to know Spoon-billed Sand is back at Pak Thale.

I've organised a local guide who knows all the sites - so fingers crossed will be an uneventful trip. I also need Milky Stork and Chestnut-tailed Starling so plenty to keep me going in two full days.

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread