• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Spotted Flycatcher? June 2020, Scotland. (1 Viewer)

Andy Strachan

Scotland
Hi,

I was flicking through my photo's and came across a bird that I'd taken photo's of last year but couldn't identify at the time, due to lack of experience and fairly poor quality of the photo's, and I'd since forgotten about it.

I'm thinking it could be a Spotted Flycatcher. In some photo's I think I'm seeing the spots and streaks, and it seems to be all the right colours.

There may not be enough detail in the images to confirm 100% but that's ok. I'm just curious, and maybe just sliiightly hoping for one as I've never seen one before, or since! haha

It was taken at Lenabo woods, Aberdeenshire and there have been sightings there, at that time of year (June).

Attachments

• DSC_0484 (2).jpg
    DSC_0484 (2).jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0487 (2).jpg
    DSC_0487 (2).jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0488 (2).jpg
    DSC_0488 (2).jpg
    4 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0489 (2).jpg
    DSC_0489 (2).jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0490 (2).jpg
    DSC_0490 (2).jpg
    5 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0491 (2).jpg
    DSC_0491 (2).jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0492 (2).jpg
    DSC_0492 (2).jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 44

Alexander Stöhr

Yes, its a Spotted Flycatcher. The right greyish and whitish colours and just visible stration on the crown and the right streaks to the breast.
This is hard to judge becuse picture quality and sharpening artefacts seems to enhance the streaking, but all the features are there, including pale fringed greater coverts.

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Andy,

just want to add one more feature of your bird, thats well visible in pictue 3: the bill seems (=gives the illusion) to be slightly bended upwarts. Quite a few Spotted Flycatcher gives this impression and when present, adds to the jizz of this species.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread