• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Flycatcher populations (1 Viewer)

Paul Longland

Just returned from a holiday in the lake district and northern Pennines. Seemed that there were lots of spotted flycatchers around this year? As we don't get them here in Leics anymore, other than a few passage birds, I am probably not really a good judge but it appeared to me that it was a good year for them. Would be interested to know if this is the case or just my skewed perception. Despite spending some not inconsiderable time in the right habitat, I didn't glimpse a single Pied-fly but spotted were everywhere.

My (limited) impression is fairly normal for recent years. Like Leics., they've vanished from lowland Northumbs as breeders, but are still (as they always have been) fairly common in the uplands. Pied Fly numbers are also about normal; unlike Spotty Flies they stop singing by mid to late June so get very difficult to see after that - I'd think that's why you didn't see any.

Just returned from a holiday in the lake district and northern Pennines. Seemed that there were lots of spotted flycatchers around this year? As we don't get them here in Leics anymore, other than a few passage birds, I am probably not really a good judge but it appeared to me that it was a good year for them. Would be interested to know if this is the case or just my skewed perception. Despite spending some not inconsiderable time in the right habitat, I didn't glimpse a single Pied-fly but spotted were everywhere.

We do alright for Spotted Flycatcher in the Lakes.
They can sometimes be faithful to certain sites and there are five on separate territories nearby this year.
I cover a well used local passage area where they stop off in late August and early September and it's not unusual to see half a dozen on a good day. The most I counted was 13 on one morning a couple of years ago.
Bit late for Pied.
There are a few dedicated birdwatchers who maintain boxes in several local woodlands in the South Lakes. If you visit late April /early May they are relatively easy to find.
Not sure about this year but generally they are doing fairly well in the woodlands where boxes are erected.

Last edited:
I’ve often wondered if once-upon-a-time breeding lowland species like Tree Pipit, Common Redstart, Wood Warbler, Spot.Fly. Whinchat, Cuckoo and Willow Warbler are now breeding at a “higher density” “oop North” than they were when breeding at lower levels in the past?

If we take Willow Warbler as one example, in my locale (along with numerous other species of yore) 60 years ago they were very numerous, now just a few pairs are “hanging on in”, comparing that with a Spring visit to Church Stretton, Shropshire last year, and along an upland path I had birds singing almost “every” 50 metres approx.

Point being if the upland densities are still the same now as they were 50 odd years ago, then that might suggest that even with the contraction down South, there might just be a glimmer of hope for possible re-colonisation if climate change to the positive occurs.....although I’m not holding my breath coz I fink
we’re doomed.?

Cheers

I’ve often wondered if once-upon-a-time breeding lowland species like Tree Pipit, Common Redstart, Wood Warbler, Spot.Fly. Whinchat, Cuckoo and Willow Warbler are now breeding at a “higher density” “oop North” than they were when breeding at lower levels in the past?

If we take Willow Warbler as one example, in my locale (along with numerous other species of yore) 60 years ago they were very numerous, now just a few pairs are “hanging on in”, comparing that with a Spring visit to Church Stretton, Shropshire last year, and along an upland path I had birds singing almost “every” 50 metres approx.

Point being if the upland densities are still the same now as they were 50 odd years ago, then that might suggest that even with the contraction down South, there might just be a glimmer of hope for possible re-colonisation if climate change to the positive occurs.....although I’m not holding my breath coz I fink
we’re doomed.?

Cheers
There's a few places around here where Willow Warbler are prolific, as you found in Shropshire. I counted 51 on a walk this year in the South Lakes which was remarkable, as there were several stretches where there weren't any because of the unsuitability of the habitat. Probably heard or seen more Willow Warbler this year than any year I can recall[ also an impressive number of Blackcap and Common Whitethroat].
I've recorded Cuckoo in all the locations they've been for the past few years as well as a new location- a recently created raised bog where Tree Pipit, Common Whitethroat and Stonechat have moved in too.
The reassuring thing is many of the places I visit are within the National Park, away from any encroaching developments. They are less likely to be developed and I've seen little change in some areas over the space of 25 years.

Last edited:
There’s a residue of hope then pratincol. :t:

Cheers
Well I try and look for some positives but I do realise we've lost so much in recent years.
The 51 upland Willow Warbler I mentioned were actually in the newly extended Yorkshire Dales National Park. They have moved the western boundary further west by a considerable distance[ it extends into the South Cumbria region so it's not actually in Yorkshire].
So that means an even larger area having some sort of protection.
There were two Cuckoo on the same walk as well, in separate territories. Also two Spotted Flycatcher in separate areas, a Common Redstart, a Stonechat, Tree Pipit, several Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Reed Bunting,Common Redpoll and on the latest visit, a post breeding flock of 17 Linnet.

Last edited:
Well I try and look for some positives but I do realise we've lost so much in recent years.
The 51 upland Willow Warbler I mentioned were actually in the newly extended Yorkshire Dales National Park. They have moved the western boundary further west by a considerable distance[ it extends into the South Cumbria region so it's not actually in Yorkshire].
So that means an even larger area having some sort of protection.
There were two Cuckoo on the same walk as well, in separate territories. Also two Spotted Flycatcher in separate areas, a Common Redstart, a Stonechat, Tree Pipit, several Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Reed Bunting,Common Redpoll and on the latest visit, a post breeding flock of 17 Linnet.

FWIW pratincol, sixty years ago in my “immediate locale” there were breeding- Spot.Fly., Com.Redstart, Tree Pipit, Red-backed Shrike, Turtle Dove, Linnet, Cuckoo, Yellowhammer, Skylark, Reed Bunting, Skylark, Tree Sparrow, Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, Greenfinch, Bullfinch and Willow Warbler....all gone, that’s one helluva loss in a “six decade” blink of an eye! We can only live in hope. :-C

Agree there definitely appears to be a northward shift in respect of Willow Warbler. In fact a bit of north south divide with Chiffies far more prevalent as you go south.

As a teenager I also remember the likes of Stonechat, Redstart etc breeding around the Charnwood area (Bradgate Park) also Wood warblers in Swithland woods. All gone now.

Agree there definitely appears to be a northward shift in respect of Willow Warbler. In fact a bit of north south divide with Chiffies far more prevalent as you go south.

As a teenager I also remember the likes of Stonechat, Redstart etc breeding around the Charnwood area (Bradgate Park) also Wood warblers in Swithland woods. All gone now.

I've been on a few walks in South Cumbria where the Willow Warblers are so numerous they drown out most of the other birds when they're in full song.Sometimes makes it difficult to work out what else is thee if you're relying on calls and songs.
Out of interest where did you see the Spotted Flycatchers on your trip. The records would be useful for our County Recorder.
If you've got time could you possibly send the details by private message.
Thanks.

Last edited:
You really need to look at the records from BBS data that has some statistical gravitas. Hence the need to record your sighting even though they are not part of s survey. Hearsay evidence suggests a continued decline. which is really sad.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back