• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Spotted these on a Nile Cruise near Luxor a couple of years ago, no idea what they are, please help. (1 Viewer)

Daan van der hoeven

The larger species are indeed gull-billed, if its up to me (the bird in the front has a classic dark mask).
For the smaller individuals i would say probably white-cheeked, however could be Common tern too

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
surely that's an actual gull at far right. Yellow eye, red spot on thick pale bill, pink legs, overall shape (big head, overall chunkiness)

Alexander Stöhr

There are also two (or three) Whiskered Terns among them, its lowest bird and the upper left bird. They are smaller than the Gull-billed Terns and have the right head pattern with black stripe through the head reching the neck. I am not so sure about the leftmost bird. Are there more pictures?

Colin Hose

There are also two (or three) Whiskered Terns among them, its lowest bird and the upper left bird. They are smaller than the Gull-billed Terns and have the right head pattern with black stripe through the head reching the neck. I am not so sure about the leftmost bird. Are there more pictures?
|Sorry its the only picture I have, also what is the gull on extreme right?

Alexander Stöhr

And the "large gull" on the right gives a strange impression to me. Isnt it a pitfall picture of a Black-headed Gull? I dont see yellow bill .
The other possibility is a Mediteranean Gull with that isolted black spot on the ear-coverts, but this is clerly a pittfall picture, and I am not on a good sereen right now. More, arent there two Med Gulls among them, the guuls with black legs and square heads?

Conclusion? I hope for others to confirm or correct my thinking, that there are two or three Whiskered Tern, a Black-Headed or a Med Gull and Gull Billecd Terns visible here

dantheman

Bah humbug
Except there are actually 11 birds in total :)

Top of the head of an additional Gull-billed visible behind a rock on left side of photo.
Ha, I did have a quick look to see if there were any more bird parts in shot but too quick lol. Hard to expect it to be anything else given the species present*, even if on it's own it would probably be unidentifiable?

(ie it matches the second to right GBT pretty much)

Users who are viewing this thread