• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting Scope Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Hi,

there is a lot of distortion at the edge of the Meopta WA zoom due to a wider tfov, especially at high magnification... that's a deliberate design choice taken - whether it will bother you depends on your tolerance for rolling ball effect when panning sideways (also seen in binoculars).
It obviously also depends a lot on how you use your scope - if you, like me, tend to scan for birds with your binoculars and then aim the scope at that point with the cable tie trick, there is not a lot of panning going to happen...

PS: are you going to wear glasses when using your scope - if yes, the Meopta with 18mm ER is probably better suited than the Nikon with 14-15mm (both with the WA zoom).

PPS: another thing to ponder about is service - Meopta seems to try to get theirs to Swaro Level lately, Nikon can be hit and miss depending on where you are... Germany iirc not too bad.

Joachim, who does not care about rolling ball...
Thanks for that. I have borrowed my dads Swaro EL 42 quite a bit, I believe many have complained about rolling ball effect on those, but I find a very crisp and usable image when panning. So perhaps no issues there... I use contact lenses when birding, but in future may start to use glasses more often, so sufficient ER would be handy. Personally, I also scan with bins first and then look closer with the scope. But, when scanning mudflats or when seabird watching I pan the scope rather slowly, so rolling ball may not be so noticeable anyways in the case of it. I think I would rather have some slight distortion in the outside of the image, than having tunnel vision with the 20-70x, though the 70x would be pretty great at times.

Finally, how do the optics compare in the two scopes? If I was to buy one of these scopes, I would likely go with the 30-60x, so the price points of the scope would be very similar. I'll do some more research... and though I'm sure I would be very pleased with either scope, I would very much like to make the best possible investment. Thanks again

I think my last questions would really be: Monarch 82 or Meostar 82? Both seem like brilliant scopes, at similar price points. I would likely go with the 30-60x for either scope. I've been doing some more reading, apparently there is a lot of distortion on the Meopta 30-60x at lower magnification, a deal breaker? Thanks
I defer/agree with Joachim's opinions here. The S2 has plenty of ER. The bit of TV below 30x doesn't bother me.

I defer/agree with Joachim's opinions here. The S2 has plenty of ER. The bit of TV below 30x doesn't bother me.
So you prefer the 20-70x? Do you mind me asking why you own both eyepieces? Perhaps if the TV is minor, the 20-70x may be a better option. I'd assume there is no rolling ball effect on that eyepiece? Thanks

So you prefer the 20-70x? Do you mind me asking why you own both eyepieces? Perhaps if the TV is minor, the 20-70x may be a better option. I'd assume there is no rolling ball effect on that eyepiece? Thanks
I have Meopta S2 with 30-60x eyepiece. I choosed that after I had read nearly every comparison to 20-70x I found. Most seemed to prefer 30-60 because of the wider FOV. However, some top scope experts prefer 20-70x because of bigger mag. There is rolling ball with 30-60 x when panning, which is bit of annoyance, but it don't really affect the identification.

I prefer the the 20-70x because I have an irrational desire for higher magnification and it still had the lower end with decent FOV. I remember the frustrating days when even the premium scopes were not great at the max of 60x. The S2 is sharp and clear at 70x and it scratches that frustrating itch retained from the old days. I bought the 30-60x just to try out. The WA advantage wasn't enough to outweigh the 70x, just a personal preference.

I just tried the scope to verify my memory. Initial impression was , "What tunnel vision?" But after playing with it a bit it is a little noticeable at about 32x and below.

I don't believe I'm as susceptible to RB as others or perhaps my viewing habits keep me from experiencing it. The only time I remember getting it was with the 883 on a quick pan, the nausea hit immediately. But that wouldn't of kept me from the 883. The 70x without extender is why I picked the s2 over the 883.

How do the Meopta eyepieces differ in sharpness?
Differences in sharpness between samples of the same scope can almost always be attributed to the objectives.
The 20-70x and 30-60x Meopta zoom eyepieces will have differing fields of view, rectilinear distortion and possibly edge sharpness, bu I would be very surprised if there were any perceptible differences in central sharpness.

John

Hej Ben
What is the result?
I had been lived in CPH for 12 years, it is nice to meet you here

Hav

Hej Ben
What is the result?
I had been lived in CPH for 12 years, it is nice to meet you here

Hav
'Hej' Hav ;)
I ended up going for a used Zeiss Victory Diascope T*FL 85mm 20-75x. I'm super pleased with the results and it has held up well after being exposed to a lot of rain. I'm super pleased with it and I can see myself using it for many more years to come.
Best regards,
Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back