• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Hi Rolftaggart, a warm welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if you've noticed that besides this subforum for binoculars, there's another subforum for scopes, you might be able to find a wealth of information there. As an appetizer, I can tell you my 5 year experience with a MM3 ED 60 (superseded by the MM4 ED). In short: exceptional.

Some years ago, after years of hesitation I decided it was time for my first scope, and wanted something light and that didn't break the bank (in case I didn't like it). I got the MM3 ED 60 with the SDLv2, and have been nothing but thrilled by the performance, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Incredibly sharp and very little chromatic aberration, worth every penny. I later got a Swarovski ATS 65 HD, which is a little better, has more reach and it's a little brigther, but it's also bulkier, heavier, more expensive and (specially at lower magnification) has less ease of view.

Thinking back, my only regret regarding the Opticron was not having bought it earlier.

I have started using an MM4 60 for the last month or so. I bought it to reduce weight after years of using larger scopes (and much more expensive higher quality ones at that).
I have no regrets. I should have bought one years ago and given my shoulders a break sooner.
Optically or isn't far off as good as "better" scopes I've owned.
I use SDLv2 and HDF fixed 17 & 23x eyepieces.
Mostly I've used the zoom. I'm not usually a fan of zooms but the SDL has something I really like.

I have the MM60 and SDLv2 - it’s brilliant
Not up to the standard of my Swarovski 80mm ATS, and I would obviously never expect it to be as good.

I had a Nikon ED50, which I bought second hand and hated. Traded that for a second hand MM50 and recently traded that for a new MM60. I'm trying to "future proof" my optics. Although I'm only 66 I’m experiencing some typical old rugby player niggles and I forsee a day when my big ‘scope might be too much for a full day walking in Norfolk or on the highways and byways on Scilly for 3 weeks every October.

The MM60 is absolutely great for most of the birding I do and an ideal companion. Fits comfortably in a backpack with a lightweight tripod for holiday use. Also works with my full size tripod and Cley Spy mule pack for reserves, etc.

Hi Rolftaggart, a warm welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if you've noticed that besides this subforum for binoculars, there's another subforum for scopes, you might be able to find a wealth of information there. As an appetizer, I can tell you my 5 year experience with a MM3 ED 60 (superseded by the MM4 ED). In short: exceptional.

Some years ago, after years of hesitation I decided it was time for my first scope, and wanted something light and that didn't break the bank (in case I didn't like it). I got the MM3 ED 60 with the SDLv2, and have been nothing but thrilled by the performance, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Incredibly sharp and very little chromatic aberration, worth every penny. I later got a Swarovski ATS 65 HD, which is a little better, has more reach and it's a little brigther, but it's also bulkier, heavier, more expensive and (specially at lower magnification) has less ease of view.

Thinking back, my only regret regarding the Opticron was not having bought it earlier.
Thanks for the information, very helpful

I have started using an MM4 60 for the last month or so. I bought it to reduce weight after years of using larger scopes (and much more expensive higher quality ones at that).
I have no regrets. I should have bought one years ago and given my shoulders a break sooner.
Optically or isn't far off as good as "better" scopes I've owned.
I use SDLv2 and HDF fixed 17 & 23x eyepieces.
Mostly I've used the zoom. I'm not usually a fan of zooms but the SDL has something I really like.
Thanks for the information, great help.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back