• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring Hill, TN (USA) - Need ID for 3 Birds (1 Viewer)

Amy282

Hi,

Could someone help me identify the following birds??

Thanks!

Amy

Attachments

• Steppin 2 (reduced).jpg
    Steppin 2 (reduced).jpg
    234 KB · Views: 94
  • Flycatcher - email.jpg
    Flycatcher - email.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Yellow Bird - email.jpg
    Yellow Bird - email.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 112
No one is a northern cardinal (no doubt), next looks like a pewee to me (Eastern Wood-Pewee is the one in your area -- prepared to be called on this one) and the last is ? possibly a juvenile scarlet tanager.

And welcome to Birdforum!

Niels

A welcome from me as well :t:

Like Niels said:

1. Northern Cardinal
2. Eastern Wood-Pewee
3. Tanager sp?

-Matt

You have the id's just wanted to say welcome aboard, and nice Female Cardinal shot.

Thank you!

Wow, everyone, thank you so much for your quick replies! I've been looking for days for IDs on these birds.

I thought the yellow bird looked an awful lot like a Tanager. I just took a photo of a Summer Tanager (guessing?) a month ago and this one has a similar shape. So, a the yellow one is juvenile, maybe?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Yellow Bird - email.jpg
    Yellow Bird - email.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Summer Tanager (reduced).jpg
    Summer Tanager (reduced).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 75
Or a female, but I'm thinking the species is actually Scarlet Tanager instead. The bill appears smaller to me than that of the Summer Tanager you posted along side. I've been wrong before though. Also the wings of your green/yellow bird have black in them like a Scarlet Tanager.

Or a female, but I'm thinking the species is actually Scarlet Tanager instead. The bill appears smaller to me than that of the Summer Tanager you posted along side. I've been wrong before though. Also the wings of your green/yellow bird have black in them like a Scarlet Tanager.

Those were some of the reasons I was leaning scarlet T in my previous post. Also the hints of wing bar fit the drawing in Sibley reasonably well.

Niels

Agreed

Right Niels, I was agreeing with you and bringing your ID back to the surface as it seemed to me the OP missed what you said.

Right Niels, I was agreeing with you and bringing your ID back to the surface as it seemed to me the OP missed what you said.

And your post strengthened the case, I was not completely sure :t:

Niels

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back