• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring Trip (1 Viewer)

mickbe74

Hi All,i'm planning a trip somewhere,sometime in England this Spring,i'm aiming to have a nice few days birding with the possability of rarer stuff aswell,i can go anytime in March and April,i'm looking at Portland Bill or Minsmere down south but thinking Flamborough down to Spurn or North Norfolk might offer more options as there are lots of places within a short distance,optimising my chances of a Mega or two,any idea's when and where would be best,welcomed.
Cheers Mick

Ham Wall, Shapwick heath on the Somerset Levels for GW Egret.
Look at the Somerset ornithilogical society website for what else is about.

Trouble with vagrants is that they tend to turn up anywhere anytime(usually when I`m somewhere else) Depending on weather conditions, wind direction etc.
Not sure of dates but the area has produced Purple Heron, Little Bittern, Glossy Ibis.
Hen Harrier seen recently at Catcott lows and Greylake. Temminks Stint at Steart.
Glaucous Gull at Apex lake Burnham.Osprey turns up fairly regularly at Shapwick.
and there is also the re-introduced Common Cranes and occasional Great Bustard.
Check out the back pages on the SOS website for sightings for March, April for more info

It all depends on when you are going and what your priorities are. I am a Yorkshireman but if I had a week in spring I would head north and look at Black Grouse and Capercallie lekking, then target divers, raptors and mammals in Wester Ross.

A shorter trip option would take in Spurn and Flamborough, as you suggest. Include a trip on the Yorkshire Belle out of Bridlington, in the hope of a few pelagics.

For a good list, I would suggest a tour round East Anglia. Snetterton, Titchwell, Cley, Minsmere, Abberton and Old Hall should produce 150+. Return home via Lakenheath and Weeting and see Golden Oriole and Stone Curlew etc.

For "megas", I suppose the Scillies are favourite but as most are US vagrants and having spent ten years in the States, I have never bothered. Or you could just leave the decision until the night before you depart and see what is around. Although accommodation is usually easy to find, the last may not be practical if other family members are involved.

Thanks for the replies,i've chosen a weekend in mid April and i'm going to see what's about,check the weather and then decide where to go,three to three and a half hours is about the maximum travelling time i want to do so the Scillies and Scotland are out,one day maybe when the wife gives me a week long pass.
Cheers Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back