• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring weekend in New York (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Just a little pondering, BA have got return flights to New York for £189 incl taxes throughout April, so was wondering anybody been out there birding for a weekend at that time? Central Park must be full of New World warblers, etc, no?

You probably can't go wrong if you can book the very last of April - first two weeks in May.

Ooh, ooh. Actually the first two weeks in May should also afford you some good looks at any new offspring of the famous Red-tails in love couple.

Ah, but the hawks have not produced offspring the last two years.

Yes Central park is great for warblers and all sorts of migrants, but also good for migrants is Jamaica Bay in Queens. From NYC, Jones Beach can be a very good spot, as can some places nearby on the mainland (watch NY listserves before you go, or ask locals for exact locations).

New York

Hi Jos
Went last year for a few days at the end of April and first two days in May.
It was my first trip to the US and most birds were new. Central Park was one of the best places I have ever been with warblers everywhere, I was also impressed by the assistance and hospitality of what seems to be a great fraternity of Central Park Birders. I also went to the New York Botanical gardens, again the birds and people were great. Jamaica Bay is a must and the train journey is an education for us non-Americans. Apparently we were just a little early for the Humming Birds, (however been back to the US since and seen them.)

regards
Merlin

Jos Stratford said:
Just a little pondering, BA have got return flights to New York for £189 incl taxes throughout April, so was wondering anybody been out there birding for a weekend at that time? Central Park must be full of New World warblers, etc, no?

Hi Jos

As Stuart said I was there in May 2006 (15-22) and it was superb. I was told that around 10 May was the peak time, some very common birds such as Palm Warbler had already gone through when I was there but I saw 19 species of warbler in one morning before breakfast in Central Park, including Blackburnian and Cape May side by side. There are also one or two things to do in New York when you are not birding! I'd definitely go back again (and again).

E

Hi
just to confirm what others have said. Around about the 5th May is peak for species variety and numbers in Central Park. I went in mid April which was just pre the main influx (although nonetheless, the birding was very good). Also, agree with scfmerlin in that 'Central Parkers' are very accommodating and obliging of birders and there are a number of early morning (first light) guided (but not 'regimented') walks specifically aimed at birding. I went round with Marie Winn, author of 'Red Tails in love', but there are others, if that's your thing.
I expect you've tried out www.centralpark.com/pages/sports/bird-watching.html, but if not it's good background info.
Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back