• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2024 (1 Viewer)

A bit harsh! :ROFLMAO:

Yes a lot of it is noddy (because it's for the Great British Public, not us) and some of the behaviour is 4th form (what year is that in newspeak?) but actually each series has a bit of new serious science and loads of great camerawork of British wildlife.

John
Yes the Fly coming out of the Pupa yesterday with the Pseudo Scorpian grabbing it's leg to hitch a ride was amazing camera working! The emergence wouldn't have been out of place in an early 70s horror film !!! Incredible footage!

As an aussie who visited the UK in spring 2023 I enjoy this series and wish we had something like it in Australia. The disconnect between most people here and the natural world is huge.

Why do people poo poo this series? I think Lolo, Meg, Chris and Michaela’s enthusiasm for all things wildlife is beautifully infectious and anything that encourages the casual watcher of things like this to pay more attention to the issues raised should be applauded!
Agree, it's for the newbies and casuals with a sprinkle of conservation to show what wonderful wildlife we have and how marvelous nature is. For us oldies the modern camera footage is extraordinary. The knockers are just unrecognised "experts" in their own eyes, quick to criticise but unwilling to switch channels just in case.

I do enjoy Springwatch, as well as Autumnwatch/Winterwatch. Again, not sure why it's seen as a negative thing, what's wrong with having an hour of seasonal UK nature on freeview tv, showing people things they might never have seen before - whether that's species they didn't even know we had to the casual viewers who might only just be starting out an interest in nature or birds, or lovely close-up footage of behaviour for those who knew a bit already but are happy to watch more.
Between this and the new series of Jim Moir painting birds (with a lot of enthusiastic and appreciative birdwatching shown between the painty bits), it's a pretty good time for birds on telly! Then I switch over to Wildearth for some South African species to finish off the evenings.

I know due to the BBC's impartiality rules that there's only so far they can push an agenda on Springwatch, but being a live programme they do sometimes try to approach the line a wee bit, but then they just hold it back a bit. For example when they talk about species declines, they'll touch on causes but rarely be explicit about the causes, especially where it touches on things like shooting estates and birds of prey. But sometimes I think Packham is canny enough to say just enough (without getting himself into trouble by the BBC) to get viewers thinking about it and going off to learn more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back