• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2024 (1 Viewer)

I see the knocker trolls are now having a dig through media about Packham wearing a costly fashion brand bucket hat whilst presenting. If the bloke can afford to treat himself occassionally or it was a present, where's the harm? Probably someone associated with the hunting shooting fraternity OR quite envious.

One of my Edible Dormouse pictures on Springwatch tonight, which was nice. Anyone know the story on Garden Dormouse in the UK as Iolo confidently asserted?

John
I was going to ask the same question as I had no idea there were any Garden Dormice in the UK. Have they made an error? I was surpriseda few years ago to discover we had a large colony of Glis glis within walking distance of home in the west London suburbs.

I found another website claiming there have been several records thought to involve ferries or lorries or both. I should think the likely areas for colonisation would be the South-east ports and the Channel Tunnel vehicle stations.

John

Just catching up with this and watched episode 2 tonight. I really enjoyed the segment on moths and how they keep their backs to a light source and how this can lead to them flying in circles around a light. But there was an interesting link that Nightjars are taking advantage and hunting in cities. In the short term could be good for the birds, but in the long run we could then see a collapse in populations of birds and moths.

Oh and talking about moths flying around lights. I have a streetlight outside my window and spiders have taken up residence on it. I see them active all year, but at this time of year they must be really getting a bounty with all the moths and other insects I can see around the light.

Just catching up with this and watched episode 2 tonight. I really enjoyed the segment on moths and how they keep their backs to a light source and how this can lead to them flying in circles around a light. But there was an interesting link that Nightjars are taking advantage and hunting in cities. In the short term could be good for the birds, but in the long run we could then see a collapse in populations of birds and moths.
It's a very local effect caused by the proximity of Bournemouth to bits of excellent lowland heath. Future apocalypse is unlikely to be down to this particular behaviour.

John

No, it isn't is it!!

I was just thinking yesterday, as they've discarded Autumnwatch, it would have been so nice if they'd given us an extra week for Springwatch, wouldn't it.

No, it isn't is it!!

I was just thinking yesterday, as they've discarded Autumnwatch, it would have been so nice if they'd given us an extra week for Springwatch, wouldn't it.
Agree to be honest I would rather they axe Winterwatch I dont really find it too exciting Autumnwatch was better.

Thought tonight was a bit gruesome wish they didnt have to put too much detail on the subject.
It's nature, Euan: everything eats something! Spare a thought for the poor little invertebrates being devoured en masse by those giant flycatching birds..... I thought the snake footage was absolutely fascinating as was Chris's commentary (I notice although he gave a warning for the faint-hearted you still watched it!)

Possibly the best episode of this year's Springwatch IMHO.

John

I know it was fine but to keep showing it and talking about it in a lot of detail was a bit much. I dont think they had another subject to talk about thats just my opinion.

I know it was fine but to keep showing it and talking about it in a lot of detail was a bit much. I dont think they had another subject to talk about thats just my opinion.
On the contrary they had so much yesterday that they bumped the mindfulness moment off the show (I don't know if you saw the "Watch Out" where Chris was explaining how they have to make decisions about what was in or out and sometimes something good has to get postponed/cancelled but I recommend it.) And frankly real nature enthusiasts can't get enough detail.

John

Disagree. This was amazing (if sad for the Reed Buntings) stuff, which would normally go totally unrecorded. Just amazing 2 species of snake raided the same nest. It's only right they don't gloss over it-this isn't the Disney world of nature some would prefer.

Same, it was fascinating footage of something I've never seen before, with plenty of thorough and serious warning beforehand to look away if you didn't want to see. Imagine if they'd said 'We saw something very unusual happen, and filmed it start to finish, but we're only going to show a brief clip because it's not very nice, you can't have the rest!' - that's not the way nature documentaries should treat the film they get.

We see plenty of predation in nature programmes in general, as well as in Springwatch itself, and I find it curious how the bias toward one type of animal makes this footage and discussion a contentious inclusion in the show - obviously I like birds, but I want to see and learn about snakes too, and don't find myself 'taking sides' and being fine seeing a bird eating a snake, but against seeing a snake eat a bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back