• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel "Proof" Feeders (1 Viewer)

Jack91

Hi folks,

Just found out about the forum, nice to be here. I recently had to purchase a fat ball feeder and a seed feeder with a cage around to stop the squirrels. I had a plastic 10 port feeder, followed by a stainless steel one but they still manage to gnaw through the plastic. I had no choice to get these cage things however only some birds manage to figure out the biggest entrance is at the bottom and I think it deters some birds. I have a window feeder which is OK but the squirrels are a nuisance, they just cost me money. Will the birds figure out to go into the cage rather than trying to reach in from the outside? Thanks folks.

Jack

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't got experience with those cages, so I can't say. If birds can go through the cage I'm certain they will, but flying up through a lower entrance might be tricky for some. I more familiar with baffles that are put on the post under the feeder which don't allow the squirrel to get to the feeder.

By the way, there is a subforum where there is lots of discussion on feeding birds: you can find it here, and you may find more people hanging out there who can speak to your question.

Welcome to BirdForum!

I have a couple of caged feeders and the birds have worked out how to use them. They are fine for the smaller birds.

Ah wonderful thanks for the info, nice to know. What do you personally do for biggers birds like blackbirds? Do you leave some food outside and chase squirrels off if you see them?

Yes, that is exactly right. We put out food on the ground and the bird table and spend a lot of time chasing the blooming squirrels away.

P.S

The RSPB recommends to put some chili powder in a bag and shake it with the seed mix. Could always try that but it doesn't say how much to put in! Any advice on the feeder I linked would be appreciated, or any other metal feeders that would stop the bites :)

Last edited:
P.S

The RSPB recommends to put some chili powder in a bag and shake it with the seed mix. Could always try that but it doesn't say how much to put in! ...

I tried that. It didn't work. If anything, the squirrels round here liked the spicy seed even more. They went round with red mouths for days.

Oh damn damn damn what must I do, if I buy plastic feeders they just ruin them. If I buy squirrel proof cages the head manages to go through and bite the port holes, so defeats the purpose. The only other option that isn't too expensive is to buy the feeders that have metal port holes and lids with strong plastic tubing. What do you personally do?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back