• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sri Lanka and Western Ghats January 25-February 8 2023. (1 Viewer)

Doing this alone with Kalypso but if anyone is interested price around US$2400 all inclusive excluding flights.Starting in Colombo ending Kochi.Also possible to do either leg.
DM if interested
Regards Dave.

Maybe he's hoping it will be better in seven months. Not entirely unreasonable IMO. Seeing as the local economy is highly dependent on international tourism, I'm sure they will go to some lengths to reestablish working infrastructure to that end.

My friend and I had planned to go next March to look for cats, birds, pangolins and possibly blue whales, etc, but sadly we've decided to postpone for at least a year. Would welcome others to join us if things get back to normal by 2024.

28A759C5-E26B-4002-A6DE-29E4411B292D_1_201_a.jpeg
Sri Lanka being my 2nd home staying there 6-7 months yearly and what a incredible place. Yes today things have just started settling down and as bad as it has been, 14,500 tourists have already visited in July so far. They will get this sorted out and would be pretty confident by when you get there, things should have eased up quite a bit including fuel/petrol.
This picture i took is from Kumana National park in Panama, Sri Lanka just recently in early May of this year..

I am aware of the current situation and should things in Sri Lanka not work out then I’ll go to the Andamans instead.

Attachments

• SLAITO - Communique - July 13 - FINAL.pdf
    123 KB · Views: 32
Doing this alone with Kalypso but if anyone is interested price around US$2400 all inclusive excluding flights.Starting in Colombo ending Kochi.Also possible to do either leg.
DM if interested
Regards Dave.
DM if interested
Regards Dave.
This trip is going ahead as planned including Sri Lanka if anyone is still interested

I met a Sri Lankan a few days ago here in London and she said that there were still shortages, but that as a foreigner I would be allowed to go to the front of queues, as they are so keen that tourists keep coming! A bit embarrassing really, maybe I'd allow it and give some money to a local charity to assuage my guilt..

Anyway, can you provide the itinerary for the trip?

I met a Sri Lankan a few days ago here in London and she said that there were still shortages, but that as a foreigner I would be allowed to go to the front of queues, as they are so keen that tourists keep coming! A bit embarrassing really, maybe I'd allow it and give some money to a local charity to assuage my guilt..

Anyway, can you provide the itinerary for the trip?
I got all the endemics with the exception of the Owls which I didn''t really work for, at just a few sites in only a week.

• Kitulgala
• Sinharaja
• Nuwara Elya for Victoria Park, Haggala Botanical Gardens and our (Baur's) guides site site for the Whistlingthrush, he also had his own site for the Spurfowl.

This was my itinerary.

27th Jan - Collected from my guesthouse in Negombo at 0430 by my guide Sunil De Alwis for the drive to out first destination of Kitulgala. Afternoon birding at Kitulgala and some night birding.

28th Jan - Morning birding at Kitulgala then drive to Sinharaja. Afternoon birding around ‘Blue Magpie’ gardens.

29th Jan – Morning and afternoon birding in the Park at Sinharaja.

30th Jan – Up early to go to Sunil’s own site for Sri Lanka Spurfowl then depart for the three hour drive to Uda Walawe.

31st Jan – The park at Uda Walawe was closed due to the civil war so only a small amount of birding was done here by scoping the lake from the road that runs through the middle of the park, we had to drive this road anyway on our way to Nuwara Elya.

Late afternoon visit to Sunil’s site for Sri Lanka Whistlingthrush where we also got great views of the Bush-Warbler

1st Feb - Early start in Victoria Park, afternoon at Haggala Botanical Gardens and dusk visit to Victoria Park.

This trip is going ahead as planned including Sri Lanka if anyone is still interested
Good for you Dave. Some of the comments on here are so wide of the mark. I’m sending this from Colombo airport after an 11 day tour with “ Walkwithjith” tours. There have been 3 of us on the tour, expertly guided by Thilina and Indunil. We’ve seen all 34 endemics out of a total list of about 230 species.

The occasional queue for petrol (not diesel) apart, you wouldn’t know there was a problem. We’ve been to shops which are fully stocked and there are ample opportunities to buy fruit from roadside vendors.

I’m sure there are undercurrents of discontent in the country but which country hasn’t got that problem! It’s a lovely country and needs all the support it can get to pick up the pieces. Misinformation is not helping at all.

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we have.

Sri Lanka is indeed a great birding destination, and also worth noting that India is apparently reintroducing e-visas for UK citizens at long last.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back