• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St Cyrus NNR & Kinnaber Links (1 Viewer)

Megasyrphus

Scotland
11 Jan 2022

St Cyrus NNR:
Frosty with light southerly winds. On sea, 100 Common Scoter, 1 Red-throated Diver and 1m Long-tailed Duck. At the estuary mouth, 30 Mallard, 20 Wigeon, 20 Teal, 2 Goldeneye, 1 Little Grebe, 1 Shelduck, 6 Redshank, 1 Greenshank with 100 Curlew and 1 Shelduck on nearby fields. Ad f Peregrine on the cliff among cackling Fulmars and Jackdaws.

Kinnaber Links: Nice views of a Red Squirrel at a bird feeder. Cycleway through plantation blocked by a mess of fallen trees.

Gosh it's a long time since I've been up to St Cyrus - you really had a great selection of birds, didn't you.

Hi Megasyrphus and a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Keep an eye on threads titled Scottish Bashes, we used to have one or two meetings each year and they were all great fun. Maybe we'll be able to start them up again before too long.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I did a bit of work assisting the Seasonal Warden (Abbie Patterson) at St Cyrus In the mid 1980s,living In a Caravan on the Reserve.Had a fantastic time,on a fantastic Reserve.Think It's time to go back for a visit.

Megasyrphus, thanks for the reminder about this place. It's been years since I have visited it so popped down there yesterday (Saturday lunchtime). Biggest shock was the new carpark! The place was heaving which was nice to see but it was difficult to park. NB car park is currently being expanded and was informed it should be finished in the spring; Steptoe's scrap yard was also busy and at a distance seems to be better organised than I remember. Anyway, as a newbie not sure what birds I saw (huge number of ducks out at sea but too far for me to ID even with bins) but I'm pretty sure I saw a red-throated diver and a couple of red-breasted mergansers (thankfully close to shore). Not a lot happening at the estuary mouth that I could tell and a real shame about the hide.

18 Jan 2022

St Cyrus NNR:
Bright start but cloud soon rolled in on a chill westerly wind. On the sea, 500+ Common Scoter, 54 Red-throated Diver (mostly moving northward) and 1m Long-tailed Duck. At the estuary mouth, 500 Pink-footed Geese, 30 Teal, 10 Wigeon, 6 Mallard, 6 Red-breasted Merganser, 6 Goldeneye, 1 Shelduck, 6 Redshank, 1 Greenshank, 1 Jack snipe, 1 Little Egret and 35 Linnet. Ad m Peregrine and pair of Buzzard on the cliff among the now usual cackling Fulmars and tumbling Jackdaws. On the dunes, 6 Stonechat and a Meadow Pipit (little tweeter were in short supply!).

Lower North Water Bridge: Dipper and 3 Little Grebe

25 Jan 2022

St Cyrus NNR: Blue skies but with a cool strengthening westerly; sun shone with suggestion of warmth in sheltered parts. On the sea, 500+ Common Scoter, 12 Red-breasted Merganser and 11 Red-throated Diver. At the estuary mouth, 40 Wigeon, 30 Teal, 8 Red-breasted Merganser, 7 Shelduck, 6 Goldeneye, 2 Mute Swan, 26 Sanderling, 10 Curlew, 8 Redshank, 1 Greenshank and 1 Dunlin. Pair of Peregrine on cliff and zapping around the reserve plus Buzzard and Raven.

Miltonhaven: Tide out, sun mostly in face. 35 Wigeon, 4 Shelduck, 30 Curlew, 15 Oystercatcher, 6 Redshank, 4 Ringed Plover, 1 Little Egret, 1 Kestrel, 12 Linnet and 1f Stonechat.

Lower North Water Bridge: Dipper and Kestrel

It would seem we have a Humpback Whale again, not been myself as my car is in the garage for repair, but have seen a short vid clip of it(some think there might be two of them).

Oooh!!! Nice one.

Huuuuge beasts!! Shame you can't get there Burnie.

Went Whale watching again, but no show again, plenty of bird life on the sea, a few Gannets, Shags and Cormorants, Herring Gulls and large numbers of Black Headed Gulls. The sea was quite rough with a lot of spray reducing visibility, making clear identification difficult.
After the storm by tigerburnie, on Flickr

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back