• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stanford Warren/Wharf (1 Viewer)

CharleyBird

England
Had a very pleasant early morning walk around the Mucking area so thought I'd share about this relatively quiet spot. Saw three dog walkers, one bird watcher, and one other walker.
Parked up in Wharf Road and walked S to the Mucking Flats. Then W to the sluice bridge, N around the extensive reed beds and NE along the fishing lake boundary back to Wharf Road.

Didn't see kingfisher, marsh harrier, bearded tit, avocet so not that exciting...

but did
hear cetis warbler,
see the rear end of a water rail, and a wren and a great spotted woodpecker fully in the sunshine at leisure.
And saw:
Song thrush, blackbird, blue tit, great tit, long tailed tit, goldfinch, greenfinch chaffinch, dunnock, dunlin, common redshank, moorhen coot, teal, mallard, reed bunting, cormorant, black headed gull, starling, pheasant, greylag goose, canada goose, skylark, great crested grebe, wood pigeon, collard dove, lapwing, magpie, jackdaw, carrion crow, robin.
Probably more on the mud flats but I'm not confident on waders
Very nice two hour stroll

Had a very pleasant early morning walk around the Mucking area so thought I'd share about this relatively quiet spot. Saw three dog walkers, one bird watcher, and one other walker.
Parked up in Wharf Road and walked S to the Mucking Flats. Then W to the sluice bridge, N around the extensive reed beds and NE along the fishing lake boundary back to Wharf Road.

Didn't see kingfisher, marsh harrier, bearded tit, avocet so not that exciting...

but did
hear cetis warbler,
see the rear end of a water rail, and a wren and a great spotted woodpecker fully in the sunshine at leisure.
And saw:
Song thrush, blackbird, blue tit, great tit, long tailed tit, goldfinch, greenfinch chaffinch, dunnock, dunlin, common redshank, moorhen coot, teal, mallard, reed bunting, cormorant, black headed gull, starling, pheasant, greylag goose, canada goose, skylark, great crested grebe, wood pigeon, collard dove, lapwing, magpie, jackdaw, carrion crow, robin.
Probably more on the mud flats but I'm not confident on waders
Very nice two hour stroll

Hi Charley bird,
Yeah I go down Stanford Warren in the evening.
The Kingfisher patrols the fishing lake and flies over to the reeds.
It's on the sluice at low tide.
There's others on the Wharf lake.
I've seen the Marsh Harrier, SEO and Barn owl a few times.
Only seen Bearded Tit a couple times from the path up the middle of the reeds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back