• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling Roosts In Pembrokeshire (1 Viewer)

brithilly

Does anyone know where there are any Starling roosts sites in Pembrokeshire, many starling pass overhead heading west, coming up to sunset (I live near Haverfordwest)
Many thanks

Can't help I'm afraid but would love to find a local one ( I'm in Essex ) After going to see the one at East chevington I would love to see another it is a truly an amazing sight.

Gill

Can't help I'm afraid but would love to find a local one ( I'm in Essex ) After going to see the one at East chevington I would love to see another it is a truly an amazing sight.

Gill
Thanks for that, I am jealous you actually have seen one in the flesh. Best of luck with the seeking one out in Essex

Starling Roost

Does anyone know where there are any Starling roosts sites in Pembrokeshire, many starling pass overhead heading west, coming up to sunset (I live near Haverfordwest)
Many thanks

There are two major roosts I believe, one is about half a mile downriver from Blackpool Mill in an area of reeds on the North bank (SN 048 140) and the other is somewhere else...not sure where but will find out. I took a walk to the Eastern Cleddau roost about a month ago and the display was amazing, went there this evening and no birds came in at all but we saw thousands of Starlings - several large 'clouds' making their way towards the NW. Still a stunning evening walk though, we saw a couple of little egrets and a V of geese flew low over us, heading downriver.

I'm going to find out the location of the Western Cleddau roost from a friend and head there tomorrow evening if possible.

Many thanks for your reply, I will head out there soon. The Western Cleddau site would be useful to know as I live in the banks of the W Cleddau
Once again many thanks

Starlingfest

Many thanks for your reply, I will head out there soon. The Western Cleddau site would be useful to know as I live in the banks of the W Cleddau
Once again many thanks

Good, good news Brithilly. I found the place all last night's Starlings were heading to - thanks to a tip from a 'friend' - and witnessed a truly stunning roost. The OS ref is: SM 906 223. If you drive into the woods from the road you can turn left into a clear area where you'll really be in the thick of the action - I did this and it was incredible, one of the best nature spectacles I've ever seen. Alternatively you can just park up in the turn off and watch the birds come in. Get over there whilst we've got this weather - brilliant!

Many many thanks for that info, I will be going soon, will let you lnow how I got on!!

Later the Same Day
Have just got back from visiting the roost and as you said it was one of the best spectacles I have ever seen, although the weather was cloudy and eye wateringly cold!!
Will be going again soon especialy if the weather gets better
Again many thanks

Last edited:
is this place still good for seeing them? am i right in thinking it's up the track through the woods towards the abattoir?

cheers

drew

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back