• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Starting the simple questions ( I told you ) (1 Viewer)

buggybill2003

United Kingdom
I wondered if people could help me ? Are birds such as Jays territorial usually ? I have driven on the same lane locally three times now and every time I have seen one or two Jays near the same area. I ask because I like to try photography with my bigger lens and would like to have a chance of shooting one, but obviously if it was just luck, would it be a wasted journey ?

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
Not sure about European jays, but many birds have predictable movement patterns, which vary based on time of year. During mating season, individuals of many species will guard a specific territory. They'll stay on that territory while raising their young (they'll pick a territory that includes good feeding grounds, so they don't have to spend too much time shuttling back to the nest with food). In winter, songbirds, if not migrating, typically form groups and go where there are berries during the day, and retreat to a separate hiding place for the night. They may feed in the same place several days in a row and then move on, or they may visit several sites each day in quick rotation.

buggybill2003

United Kingdom
Not sure about European jays, but many birds have predictable movement patterns, which vary based on time of year. During mating season, individuals of many species will guard a specific territory. They'll stay on that territory while raising their young (they'll pick a territory that includes good feeding grounds, so they don't have to spend too much time shuttling back to the nest with food). In winter, songbirds, if not migrating, typically form groups and go where there are berries during the day, and retreat to a separate hiding place for the night. They may feed in the same place several days in a row and then move on, or they may visit several sites each day in quick rotation.
thank you

Users who are viewing this thread