• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stiff focus knob, disconnected faster focus knob (1 Viewer)

MrBitsy

I have an Opticron GS 665 GA ED scope. It has two connected focusing knobs, one for fine adjustments.

The bigger focus knob is very stiff, requiring two fingers to turn. I can see the fine adjusting knob turn fast when I turn the course focus. However, turning the fine adjustment knob, which is not stiff, results in no movement to the course adjustment knob.

Anybody removed and serviced these knobs or should I return to Opticron and not try to fix myself?

Definitely return it to Opticron, Pete Gamby of Opticron is a regular poster on these pages, I`m sure he will see your post and advise the same.

I would suggest giving the Opticron service department a ring. I spoke to them recently regarding some dirt in my eyepiece and they were very helpful. They advised me to send it in, and it only took them a few days to complete the work.

@MrBitsy, to me it sounds like your focus wheel is broken, it may even have loose parts within the scope, please don't shake or rattle it. Please ring 01582 726 522 to seek advice, currently we are not taking in repairs but still ring Opticron HQ.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back