• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stint -a bit long in the leg (1 Viewer)

Howard King

Stint -a bit long in the leg Bahrain

Would be interested in peoples opinions on the bird central to the pictures - the 3rd picture was cropped from picture 2

Attachments

• stintid.jpg
    stintid.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 164
  • stintid1.jpg
    stintid1.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 158
  • stintid2.jpg
    stintid2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Looks like a adult summer plumage Little Stint, Legs do look long and so do the Wood Sandpipers, maybe the sleek appearance is due to the heat?

Looks like a adult summer plumage Little Stint, Legs do look long and so do the Wood Sandpipers, maybe the sleek appearance is due to the heat?
The F1 boys will have shed a few pounds today as it was bloody hot here over 40c normally its only around 34c but then that nothing wait til August when its gets to 50 plus - didn't think the Wood sandpiper had long legs but the Stint certainly has - we have (tens of) thousands over winter on the shore few if any have legs this long

Last edited:
still a little stint, howard. minuta is long legged bird comparatively to the other calidrids. bill shape is perfect as is plumage, moulting into breeding plumage.

Thanks Lou - We seem to have birds that stick to the shore and are shorter legged - the majority and these much later occurring that are found inland around fresh or brackish water - will have to ring a few and measure both to see whats what

Thanks Lou - We seem to have birds that stick to the shore and are shorter legged - the majority and these much later occurring that are found inland around fresh or brackish water - will have to ring a few and measure both to see whats what

Hi Howard

The longer legs of Little Stint is one feature that helps me pick them out from the commoner (here!) Red-neckeds. Some individuals are almost stilt-like (perhaps a slight exaggeration!) such as this bird.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

No problem in accepting it as a Little Stint I see thousands each time I go around our island shores they are as I said before a very common species but on this occasion I just thought the jizz of this particular bird was wrong. For your pleasure I have added some of our Little Stint photos some with a other species in frame for size comparison the last pic is my idea of a joke but would be interested to know how many species people can find

Attachments

• littlestint.jpg
    littlestint.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 60
  • littlestint1.jpg
    littlestint1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 60
  • little-stint1.jpg
    little-stint1.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 67
  • waders.jpg
    waders.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hi Dave

No problem in accepting it as a Little Stint I see thousands each time I go around our island shores they are as I said before a very common species but on this occasion I just thought the jizz of this particular bird was wrong. For your pleasure I have added some of our Little Stint photos some with a other species in frame for size comparison the last pic is my idea of a joke but would be interested to know how many species people can find

Hi Howard,

Very nice pics! The last one - oo er - a bit tiny to be sure, but I think I can make out 4 - Little Stint, Dunlin, Greater Sand Plover (right centre) and Lesser Sand Plover (centre).

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back