• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stock Dove, West Midlands (1 Viewer)

luckyosprey4

Around midday today, two doves flew into my garden and landed in a tree. I noticed that in flight they were smaller than Woodpigeon but seemed different to feral Rock Dove. I am pretty sure that they were Stock Dove but could someone please confirm whether they are or not?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 16.45.47.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 16.45.47.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 16.46.01.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 16.46.01.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 16.46.10.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 16.46.10.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 84
I live beside a dual carriageway and on the other side are farmers fields and horse paddocks so presumably they came from there. Thanks for your prompt response.

Chris

Look like Stock Doves to me, I assume you're in quite a rural area?

Though I guess they're most associated with rural areas they are quite common in some of the larger parks in central London such as Kensington Gardens + Regent's Park, so not restricted to such places.

Though I guess they're most associated with rural areas they are quite common in some of the larger parks in central London such as Kensington Gardens + Regent's Park, so not restricted to such places.

Likewise, they're getting more common in parks and even in gardens in my part of the West Midlands. I see them regularly around Warley Woods, Dartmouth Park in West Bromwich and Edgbaston Reservoir as well as large numbers in Sandwell Valley.

Cheers,

Matt

Likewise, they're getting more common in parks and even in gardens in my part of the West Midlands. I see them regularly around Warley Woods, Dartmouth Park in West Bromwich and Edgbaston Reservoir as well as large numbers in Sandwell Valley.

Cheers,

Matt

When I said 'rural', I meant not an inner City garden, most of the places mentioned are basically the wide open areas that they like. I certainly don't see them in Nottingham but don't have to go more than a few miles from the City centre to find them.

Definitely Stock Doves. While they are less common in urban areas than Woodpigeons, I have seen them in the fairly inner-city (though large and well-wooded) Armley Park in Leeds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back