• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stodmarsh National Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey all, I think I might be going to Stodmarsh on the weekend, and I have seen on Facebook that people are able to hand feed the robins there as well as great and blue tits. I have never been before, but they seem to be handfed mostly near the "dad bench". Where is this bench? I am aware there are 2 parking areas on either side of the reserve so which one is closer to the bench. Unfortunately it would seem that our 2 dogs will be coming which I'm very sure will scare all the birds away. If that is the case then it might be better to go another time. I would still like to have some knowledge as to where to go to find the "dad bench" though. As always, any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ev

It’s probably best to contact the reserve, I haven’t heard of this activity myself but I don’t visit there either - so who knows.
That would also be a handy time to check whether dogs are welcome.

Someone on Facebook has very kindly pointed out where the dad bench is, and its not on the trail which is not accessible by dogs. I think.. but I'm looking forward to it.

It's a few years since I visited, but the reserve trail is quite long and thin - birders often do one end or the other. From memory the Stodmarsh end is more varied. The reserve is unmanned but there will be several other birders about. @John Cantelo might be able to give more up-to-date information (he showed me my first Cetti's at Stodmarsh back in the mid-80's).

Apologies, I have only just seen this thread as I'm currently in Spain where, until yesterday, I had no Wi-Fi. There are a number of rather tame Robins dotted at several points from the Stodmarsh car park through the nature trail (strictly no dogs) and as you walk along the initial part of the Lampen Wall (i.e. the main path across the centre of the reserve). Probably the tamest one, though, is a short distance (20 m?) from the car park along the nature trail on the fence by the small pool (on your left). If you continue (sans dogs) along the nature trail then when you come to another path at a right-angle (a few hundred metres) you'll find the 'Dad' bench just to your right. If you have dogs then you can take them (on leads) along the alternative path from the car park bear right when you reach the path to the hide (c100m), continue until you reach another path on your right and the 'Dad' bench is about 30 m along that path.

Apologies, I have only just seen this thread as I'm currently in Spain where, until yesterday, I had no Wi-Fi. There are a number of rather tame Robins dotted at several points from the Stodmarsh car park through the nature trail (strictly no dogs) and as you walk along the initial part of the Lampen Wall (i.e. the main path across the centre of the reserve). Probably the tamest one, though, is a short distance (20 m?) from the car park along the nature trail on the fence by the small pool (on your left). If you continue (sans dogs) along the nature trail then when you come to another path at a right-angle (a few hundred metres) you'll find the 'Dad' bench just to your right. If you have dogs then you can take them (on leads) along the alternative path from the car park bear right when you reach the path to the hide (c100m), continue until you reach another path on your right and the 'Dad' bench is about 30 m along that path.
Yes we found the dad bench. Appreciate the information highly too. It was more the blue tits that ate from our hands though and the robins really weren’t too keen to eat from our hands. A couple great tits were close to doing so but there was a bit of foot traffic around so they decided against it. Will definitely go back there at an earlier point though. Annoying about an hour after we left the purple heron was seen again which was a bit annoying.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back