• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonefaction's 2010 list. (2 Viewers)

May 14th

As the Dotterel (another lifer....and one that I wasn't wanting to climb a mountain for) were sticking around at Loch of Strathbeg we decided to head north with fingers crossed. Checking the internet on the phone just north of Aberdeen resulted in a detour towards Collieston where 6 Dotterel had been reported this morning in a field. We drew a blank there.
Up to St Combs and following directions from Capercaillie71, we found the right field. It was cold, wet and windy, so looking for the birds wasn't much fun. We found Golden Plover up the far end of the field and a few Wheatear. No Dotterel though.
We decided to check the field every 30 feet or so, and once again, my girlfriend came up trumps, finding one in an area where there had been none earlier. Once we got 1, we quickly found a decent sized group of them (easily double figures). Snapped away for record shots for a while. The birds flew up, and joined with a larger group....in total, 30 of them! They landed a bit closer, and the sun came out, so managed to get even better shots.

Wandered down to the beach eventually, and picked up a couple of Whimbrel. Got a couple of Marsh Harriers, 2 Black Tailed Godwit, 3 Snipe, a Canada Goose and a Hooded Crow at the reserve.

176. Dotterel

Attachments

• 4615336246_18a59a09f5.jpg
    4615336246_18a59a09f5.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 4615333728_c462a76109.jpg
    4615333728_c462a76109.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 4614712387_f0ab62957f.jpg
    4614712387_f0ab62957f.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
May 15th

Got word that there was a Red Necked Phalarope not a million miles away, near Loch of Kinnordy, so we jumped in the car and raced up to see if it was still around. Thankfully it was, although it did appear to vanish before we set off for home again. Heat haze and distance made getting any sort of decent photo impossible, so a very poor record shot was all I got.

177. Red Necked Phalarope

Attachments

• 4614710541_1a5e7fd15c.jpg
    4614710541_1a5e7fd15c.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 59
May 18th

Last day of my holidays, before going back to work, so didn't want to waste it, despite feeling a bit under the weather. We decided against the 12hr challenge we'd set ourselves (try and see over 100 species in 12hrs), and took things at a more leisurely pace. First stop was Forfar Loch, but nothing too exciting although did manage a few nice photos and saw 38 species. Noticed a few Buzzards soaring on the thermals, so decided to try for a bigger raptor. Headed for one of the Angus glens where Golden Eagle has been seen in the past. Picked up a Spotted Flyctacher within minutes of parking the car. A stoat swimming across a burn was an interesting animal sighting. Eventually we stopped and scoped among the rocky slopes. Found a distant head sticking out from behind a boulder, but was struggling to ID it. Fortunately I was watching through the scope when the big bird lifted, showing large 'trousers' and when it entered a slight dive against the background of the hillside, a dark brown colour. The Golden Eagle we were hoping for. Unfortunately it vanished down a valley, out of sight.
A few more places were visited looking for the elusive Cuckoo (which appears to be the replacement for Water Rail in the 'bogey bird' category), but we drew a blank. Did have a very close encounter with a female Black Grouse, by the side of the road. Grabbed a photo to confirm the ID, and managed to pick up a further 3 or 4 birds a few miles away later in the day.
Driving home we chanced upon a pipit sat at the top of a small tree in the fading light, and managed a quick photo before it flew off. Checking later on the PC, it appeared to be lacking the usual long hind claw of the countless Meadow Pipits we'd encountered and coupled with a lot lighter markings on the sides, it certainly appears to be my first ever Tree Pipit. So 3 new species for the day to round off what has been an amazing week and a bit.

178. Spotted Flycatcher
179. Golden Eagle
180. Tree Pipit

May 22nd

No luck with the Ring Necked Duck at Birnie Loch this morning. Saw Wood Warbler at Birks O' Aberfeldy. Finally got my first Cuckoo of the year on the moors just to the east of Pitlochry, being pursued by a Meadow Pipit.

181. Cuckoo

Attachments

• 4630451682_2db34bc33e.jpg
    4630451682_2db34bc33e.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 57
May 30th

Failed again on the Ring Necked Duck at Birnie Loch, but found 2 Garganey Drakes and a single duck at Rossie Bog. Another lifer for the year for me.
Garden Warbler at Birnie Loch, Kingfisher at Guardbridge and Great Crested Grebes at 3 seperate locations were the other highlights of the day.

182. Garganey

Attachments

• 4685552915_d6512cd3a8.jpg
    4685552915_d6512cd3a8.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
June 12th

A wee trip up Glen Lethnot to try and get Whinchat for the year list. Managed to find a solitary male on a wire halfway along the glen. Lots of Cuckoos around, plus Meadow Pipits. Snipe drumming, a Red Kite drifting over, Stonechat and a Ring Ouzel, plus Dipper, Grey Wagtail and quite a few Spotted Flycatcher made it an enjoyable day.

June 13th

Back at Glen Lethnot showing StAndrewsBirder where to find Cuckoo and Ring Ouzel, managed to add Red Legged Partridge, Common Sandpiper, Red Grouse (up close) and Goosander to the birds from the day before. Found a second Whinchat too.
Headed into Glen Esk later to search for Redstart, but the weather deteriorated so we were stuck in the car but did manage to find a single male Redstart near the roadside. A family of Pheasants, a few Common Sandpipers, a Redshank atop a pole, Snipe drumming and 3 Cuckoos together added to the day's total.
We headed to Montrose later to try and get Little Tern but did draw a blank. Picked up Arctic Tern though, so it wasn't a wasted journey.
Really enjoyable weekend, despite the weather on Sunday....still the lack of Little Tern means a trip further north to try and get them soon.

183. Whinchat
184. Redstart
185. Arctic Tern

Attachments

• 4700602121_1c817c61ca.jpg
    4700602121_1c817c61ca.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 4701238568_50bd7ed963.jpg
    4701238568_50bd7ed963.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 4694678246_588047915c.jpg
    4694678246_588047915c.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 4694677092_f8f6807ebc.jpg
    4694677092_f8f6807ebc.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 53
  • 4700601093_3885a5d10b.jpg
    4700601093_3885a5d10b.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
June 19th

Intended to head northwards to try and get Little Tern at the Ythan estuary, but the Common Rosefinch proved too tempting (after all, the Terns should still be around next weekend). Got to Glendevon around 1230. Didn't have too long to wait, with the bird showing briefly, with a greenfinch in pursuit, around 1245. Only managed a few blurry photos but they had to suffice, as despite waiting around until 1825 the bird never reappeared.

186. Common Rosefinch

Attachments

• 4715328818_974daf2432.jpg
    4715328818_974daf2432.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 50
June 26th

As Aberdeenshire seems to be attracting some rather nice birds just now, we took a trip northwards. First we stopped at Rigifa Pool hoping for Temminck's Stint, but it wasn't there.
Upto the Ythan estuary to get Little Tern. Managed distant views of a few individual birds, quite easily picked out in flight.
Headed to Loch of Strathbeg in the hope of getting the 2 Spoonbill which have been there of late. Drew another blank.
Checked birdguides on phone, and discovered the Spoonbills were on the Ythan, so we scooted off back to Newburgh. Stopped near the bridge and got Osprey, Sparrowhawk and Buzzard. Then we spotted the Spoonbills. Managed reasonable views as they roosted on Inch Geck island. 1st lifer of the day for me, but not the last.
Headed back to Rigifa Pool after 6pm and eventually spotted the wee wader sleeping on the shore of the pool in behind a large stone. Thankfully it woke up and proceeded tio feed and preen giving really good views at relatively close range from the side of the road.

187. Little Tern
188. Spoonbill
189. Temminck's Stint

Attachments

• 4736961142_e28622fda3_z.jpg
    4736961142_e28622fda3_z.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 4736959168_370b71f189_z.jpg
    4736959168_370b71f189_z.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 4736321679_88a94075a6_z.jpg
    4736321679_88a94075a6_z.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 4736320011_12de8324fd_z.jpg
    4736320011_12de8324fd_z.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 54
4th July

Went out sea-watching at Arbroath more in hope than expectation of seeing Manx Shearwater. Didn't have to wait too long before a couple of likely looking birds flew in, and landed in the water not too far offshore (with a group of gulls). They didn't hang about long, but were quite easily ID'd as Manxies when they took off again and headed northwards, speeding along with a strong tailwind. Picked up another 10 or so in ones and twos over the next few hours.
An unexpected bonus was a Great Skua also northbound around mid-afternoon.
A nice couple of adds for the year (and firsts for Angus for me too).

190. Manx Shearwater
191. Great Skua

July 10th

After missing out on Curlew Sandpiper earlier in the week at Rossie Bog due to being at work, I was hoping that the Pectoral Sandpiper reported on Thursday and Friday would still be there. Dropped into Guardbridge to shelter from the rain but the easterly wind made seeing much rather difficult although a Greenshank and a couple of Common Terns were nice to see.
Headed over to Rossie Bog around mid-afternoon, and picked up a Green Sandpiper as soon as we got out the car. The Pectoral Sandpiper proved a little more difficult, although another 2 couples showed up and one of the other ladies found it, so everyone got decent views of it. 15 Black Tailed Godwits and at least 7 Snipe were also seen. My 29th lifer of the year.

192. Pectoral Sandpiper

Attachments

• 4780929242_c53b3f9ba9_z.jpg
    4780929242_c53b3f9ba9_z.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 4780927920_2fed00e66e_z.jpg
    4780927920_2fed00e66e_z.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
July 17th

A failed attempt to add the Ring Necked Duck at Loch Gelly was followed by a successful attempt to find the Mediterranean Gulls at Buckhaven. Got directions to Angle Park from a birder I know, and after a wee visit to Kilminning coast where we saw a Bonxie, we headed up to Angle Park. The sun reflecting off the water precisely where the Tufties were congregating (with coots and grebes) made things difficult for a while. Eventually the sun went behind a cloud, and stayed there, allowing me to finally get the Ring Necked Duck, although it seemed to know when the scope was pointing at it, as it dived about a dozen times before I managed a decent enough view to confirm the ID.
Another lifer for me.

193. Mediterranean Gull
194. Ring Necked Duck

July 25th

Failed to add anything to the list on Speyside on Friday. A return visit is gonna be required.

Spot of sea-watching from Arbroath late afternoon produced a few Terns, a young Guillemot and 2 Bonxies. New addition for the year were 3 Arctic Skuas headed northwards.

195. Arctic Skua

August 7th.

Owing to a change in personal circumstances, I'll be reliant on public transport to get birds most of the time from now on, so additions to this list are probably gonna be few and far between.

Took a train to Montrose, and walked up to the Visitor's Centre to attempt to see the Ruddy Shelducks which have been around for the last week or so. Picked them up easily, though the views were rather distant. Was also hoping for Little Egret which has also been around since last weekend. No sign of it at first. Did pick up a single Canada Goose though.
A later scanning of the western end of the basin delivered the Little Egret, although heat haze made things a bit tricky.
A Whimbrel was feeding on the shoreline by the railway station when I got back to Montrose. Not a bad day out.

196. Ruddy Shelduck
197. Little Egret

August 8th

After adding two new birds to my list for the year, I wasn't expecting much today. That wasn't the way things panned out however.
Took the bus to Guardbridge, where the young Buzzards performed well, quite close to the hide, and the Kingfisher put in a couple of brief appearances. A Ruff was seen yesterday, so when the tide started to push the waders together, I scanned through the mass of Redshanks and Black Tailed Godwits more in hope than expectation. Eventually I got lucky and picked up a single Ruff.
A friend turned up shortly afterwards and she agreed to take me to see if we could find the Ruddy Duck that was reported on this forum. Got decent views of a single drake. My first since 2004. Hopefully it will disappear before the "SWAT team" gets to it.
Dropped into Angle Park and managed to find the Ring Necked Duck that has been there a large part of the summer. From there we headed for Angle Park to see if there was anything unusual around. Picked up a young peregrine circling before we got there. Picked up a couple of waders when we got there but couldn't be 100% sure of the ID, so snapped a few photos and posted on the ID forum and had my provisional ID of Ruff confirmed. Had only seen 1 prior to today.
A very good day, and an exceptional weekend under the circumstances.
Wonder what my 200th bird of 2010 will be.......

198. Ruff
199. Ruddy Duck

August 15th

Trip to Barry Buddon with the ADBC & other local groups. Didn't have too many decent bird sightings, but did manage a new butterfly (Small Blue) and a new one for Angus for me, a Comma. An Arctic Skua was on the water not too far offshore - my first pale Arctic Skua of the year. Wasn't looking too promising for getting my 200th bird of the year, but on our way out from the camp a few stopped cars signalled something of interest. On a fencepost, sat my 200th bird for 2010, a Long Eared Owl.
A good day out.

200 - Long Eared Owl

September 4th

Started the day at Fife Ness in the hope of an influx of passage rarites. None seen though.
Seawatching was more productive though. Picked up my first ever Sooty Shearwater just as we were packing up to leave. Also had a Bonxie, 4 Red Throated Divers, Common Scoter, lots of Gannets and quite a few Manxies. Not too many Kittiwakes, Eiders or Fulmars around though but we did get a few of each.

A stop at Guardbridge produced the second new bird of the day. Curlew Sandpipers are a bird I usually struggle to ID but today I picked them up no problem. Also found a Ruff.
Great views of Sparrowhawk and Peregrine too.

201 - Sooty Shearwater
202 - Curlew Sandpiper

12th September

Lack of transport put paid to me getting some of the nicer birds which have shown up down the coast this past week. A wee outing with the Angus & Dundee Bird Club did produce a very brief view of the Barred Warbler at Kilminning. Lots of other good birds around (Redstart, Spotted Redshank, Curlew Sandpiper, Red Throated Diver, Ruff, Spotted Flycatcher) but nothing else to add to my list.

203. Barred Warbler

October 4th

Slightly belated catch-up. After a trek round some likely spots in Angus on the 3rd (a Green Woodpecker and Redpoll at Montreathmont Forest, Pintail and Brent Goose at Bridge of Dun, Wheatear at Easthaven, Snipe and Scaup at Montrose Basin, Sanderling at Monifieth. 76 species overall) took a trip to East Lothian on Monday with St Andrews Birder. Only managed 63 species but did manage to see a Great Northern Diver briefly, as well as Red Throated Diver, Red Necked, Slavonian and Great Crested Grebe at Ferny Ness. A flock of Knot off Musselburgh, a Curlew Sandpiper at the lagoons, Sandwich Tern and Golden Plover at Gosford Bay and Barnacle Goose at Aberlady. Not bad couple of days.

204. Great Northern Diver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back