• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonefaction's 2011 List. (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
Well, last year I passed 200 species for the first time ever, but lack of transport is likely to mean this year's total falls well short, but time will tell.

Saturday 1st January

I decided to go out for a walk round Dundee with just a pair of binoculars (no camera as wasn't expecting too many photo opportunities). First bird of the year was a Herring Gull seen from home, followed by Carrion Crow and Feral Pigeon perched on a nearby rooftop. Added House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Robin, Blackbird and Starling before getting very far, followed by Black Headed Gull, Common Gull and a pair of Mute Swans at a nearby frozen pond (no Mallards or Moorhens). Cutting through a large graveyard added a nice Buzzard plus Mistle Thrush, Woodpigeon, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Coal Tit and Chaffinch.
From there I headed down to the Stannergate area of the Tay, where I had a great view of a female Sparrowhawk being chased round me by a Carrion Crow. Greenfinch and Linnet were both around here too. Mallards on the water, and a few distant groups of waders waiting to be ID'd further on.
Along the pebbled shore I added Redshank, Dunlin, Turnstone, Oystercatcher and a couple of Golden Plover, while out on the water there were a number of drake Goldeneye, Eiders, Red Breasted Mergansers and a couple of Goosander. When I reached Broughty Ferry I added a Rock Pipit or three, Pied Wagtail and a roosting Grey Heron in amongst a flock of Oystercatchers and gulls.
Spotted a Buzzard being pursued by a Crow over the houses which was unusual, and finally managed to add Cormorant as well when one flew past.
On the walk back along the shore, another Crow took exception to the presence of a male Kestrel and chased it off. I also had a Wren in the bushes along the edge of the railway line. As I reached the end of the beach, beginning of the harbour a Curlew flew low over my head adding another bird to my list for the day.
Going back the way I came, I managed to find a couple of Moorhens shuffling around in the bushes by the frozen ponds, and closer to home a Kestrel sat atop a lamp post on a very busy main road intently peering down into a grassy bank. 39 species (I'd estimated 40 as being possible so wasn't far away).

1. Herring Gull
2. Mute Swan
3. Mallard
4. Eider
5. Goldeneye
6. Goosander
7. Red Breasted Merganser
8. Cormorant
9. Grey Heron
10. Buzzard
11. Sparrowhawk
12. Kestrel
13. Moorhen
14. Oystercatcher
15. Golden Plover
16. Turnstone
17. Dunlin
18. Redshank
19. Curlew
20. Black Headed Gull
21. Common Gull
22. Feral Pigeon
23. Wood Pigeon
24. Rock Pipit
25. Pied Wagtail
26. Dunnock
27. Robin
28. Mistle Thrush
29. Blackbird
30. Wren
31. Blue Tit
32. Coal Tit
33. Carrion Crow
34. Starling
35. House Sparrow
36. Chaffinch
37. Linnet
38. Goldfinch
39. Greenfinch

Sunday 2nd January

A bout of Cellulitus was an unwelcome addition to the beginning of the year, meaning a trip to the out-of-hours GP and then to the chemist for antibiotics. Picked up a small group of pink Footed Geese overflying the city centre to add to the list as a nice wee bonus.

40. Pink Footed Goose

Monday 3rd January

A brief trip to the corner shop added Jackdaw to the yearlist, but still no Collared Dove.

41. Jackdaw

Last edited:
Thursday 6th January

An enforced day off work allowed me to squeeze in some birding in Fife, including a bonus trip to see the Black Redstart at Crail (a lifer for me). Added 13 new birds to the 2011 list, mostly at Guardbridge.

42. Greylag
43. Shelduck
44. Wigeon
45. Teal
46. Tufted Duck
47. Grey Plover
48. Black Tailed Godwit
49. Great Black Backed Gull
50. Grey Wagtail
51. Black Redstart
52. Rook
53. Great Tit
54. Brambling

Last edited:
Sunday 9th January

Well, to follow the Cellulitus I now have something resembling the flu. Not fun. I'm not enjoying 2011 so far at all.
Anyway, missed the opportunity to add quite a few species on the ADBC January trip today (my coughing would probably have lifted every bird in the area), but still managed to add another species when I looked out the bedroom window this afternoon. A couple of Collared Doves on a TV ariel.

55. Collared Dove.

Last edited:
Sunday 16th January

A wee run round some of East Fife with Gus Guthrie (thanks, Gus) allowed me to add another 8 species to my rather slow list for 2011. A couple of Pheasants crossing the road in a small village were the first, Common Scoter and Velvet Scoter plus Song Thrush at Ruddon's Point, Long Tailed Duck and Mediterranean Gull at Buckhaven and a Magpie at Kilminning.

56. Common Scoter
57. Velvet Scoter
58. Long Tailed Duck
59. Pheasant
60. Sanderling
61. Mediterranean Gull
62. Song Thrush
63. Magpie

Last edited:
Wednesday 19th January

A lot of walking produced 12 new species today. At Forfar Loch, I managed to add Pochard, Coot, Gadwall, Yellowhammer, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Long Tailed Tit and Goldcrest. Then in the afternoon I walked from Arbroath to carnoustie adding Shag, Snipe, Peregrine, Knot, Purple Sandpiper. (see Tayforth thread for more detail).

64. Gadwall
65. Pochard
66. Shag
67. Peregrine
68. Coot
69. Knot
70. Snipe
71. Great Spotted Woodpecker
72. Goldcrest
73. Long Tailed Tit
74. Yellowhammer
75. Purple Sandpiper

Last edited:
Saturday 22nd January

Camperdown Park, Dundee produced a couple of additions in Jay and Treecreeper. Great Spotted Woodpecker, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit and Buzzard also seen.

76. Jay
77. Treecreeper

Last edited:
Sunday 23rd January

Broughty Ferry and Monifieth added Siskin, Ringed Plover and Bar Tailed Godwit to the year list.

78. Bar Tailed Godwit
79. Ringed Plover
80. Siskin

Saturday 5th February.

A wee trip to Guardbridge and St Andrews only added another 3 species to the list.

81. Little Grebe
82. Lapwing
83. Redwing

Sunday 6th February

Really enjoyable, and productive day out round the north west of the Angus area (and probably just into Perthshire too) with kinnordyvolunteer. Added 11 new species.

84. Whooper Swan
85. Canada Goose
86. Smew
87. Red Grouse
88. Black Grouse
89. Red Kite
90. Dipper
91. Fieldfare
92. Bullfinch
93. Common Crossbill
94. Reed Bunting

Saturday 12th February

A wee run about a similar area to last Sunday with a different friend to try and find Crossbill and Redpoll for her. Found both, and a nice mixture of other birds. Added a couple to my list.

95. Shoveler
96. Lesser Redpoll

Sunday 13th February

An outing with the Angus and Dundee Bird Club to Scone Palace to see Hawfinch. 40+ seen, despite the weather. Drew a blank on the Red-Breasted Goose at Dunshalt though.

97. Hawfinch

Saturday 19th February

A bit of seawatching at Fife Ness added 7 new species to the list for the year...

98. Red Throated Diver
99. Red Necked Grebe
100. Fulmar
101. Gannet
102. Kittiwake
103. Guillemot
104. Razorbill

Sunday 20th February

A wee jaunt around the eastern end of Angus added 4 more to the list. Didn't get Jack Snipe, Brent Goose, Green Woodpecker or Scaup. Maybe next time.

105. Pintail
106. Greenshank
107. Stonechat
108. Tree Sparrow

Friday 25th February

A day off work and dodgy weather sent me to the comfort of the hide at Guardbridge. Managed to add the fisrt Lesser Black Backed Gulls of the year to the list. Lots of variety - 44 species- around, though not too many birds.

109. Lesser Black Backed Gull

Saturday 26th February

Wet weather cleared up to a nice sunny day, so I took the opportunity to get a bit of exercise in the sun. Got the train to Arbroath and walked to Carnoustie with a wee detour up and down Craigmill Den. Managed to add another 2 species en route. A rather confiding Skylark, and a single Black Throated Diver with 3 Red Throated Divers off Arbroath.

110. Black Throated Diver
111. Skylark

Sunday 27th February

A day out in Fife with the local RSPB group. Started at a rather chilly St Andrews. A few Great Crested Grebes and a Slavonian Grebe added two to the list. A few more Slavonian Grebes in the Eden among the Long Tailed Ducks etc (still no sign of the Brent Geese though). Stopped off at Cameron Reservoir en route to Largo Bay. One of our group managed to pick out a rather distant Surf Scoter to give me a third bird for my year list.

112. Slavonian Grebe
113. Great Crested Grebe
114. Surf Scoter

Saturday 5th March

A day out taking photos around Glen Etive and Rannoch Moor produced a solitary Raven to add to the list, though a few girls from my group saw a bird larger than a Buzzard circling near Buachaille Etive Mor. Unfortunately I missed it. A Crossbill calling from a tree in Glen Etive sounded different to the ones I saw at Backwater Reservoir, but when I listened to the Crossbill calls on the RSPB website, Common Crossbill seemed to be the best match.

115. Raven

Monday 7th March

A morning at Forfar Loch turned up a female Scaup among the Tufted Ducks to give me number 116 for the year.

116. Scaup

Sunday 13th March

A day out round Angus with the Angus and Dundee Bird Club added a very nice bird to the list for 2011 in the shape of a Goshawk. Scaup still at Forfar Loch too.

117. Goshawk

Saturday 19th March

A failed attempt to get Glaucous Gull yesterday at Arbroath meant I was still on 117 for the year, so I was hoping to pick up something new today when out and about in Angus again. By the end of the day I'd managed to add 3 new species. Meadow Pipit and Red Legged Partridge in Glen Moy and nice views of Green Woodpecker at Montreathmont Forest (as the light was fading fast).

118. Red Legged Partridge
119. Green Woodpecker
120. Meadow Pipit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back