• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Straight travel scope help/recommendations (1 Viewer)

Mother_of_birds

United Kingdom
I am driving myself mad trying to find the right travel scope so someone please please help me! I have owned a travel scope before; a Celeston Hummingbird ED which I was very disappointed with and ended up selling it. But now I'm going to coastal reserves more often and find my 8x binoculars are not quite enough.
A couple of things that are important to me are that it is straight and small/light so looking primarily at 50mm objectives.
I would prefer it to start at a relatively low magnification (i.e. 12-36x rather than 20-40x) and have a good field of view.
Its also important that the focus and zoom adjust aren't too stiff since I want to be able to use it off a tripod - when I tested a couple out I found the Kowa zoom was so stiff that the scope was going all over the place and would cause me to loose my target in a real life situation. The store only had angled ones and I actually did find one I really liked (Viking Swallow 50), came home thinking I could find a straight version online but apparently Viking only do angled scoped. Was gutted since I can get the angled version for only £100!
As for my budget I don't have a huge amount to work with, would like to keep it under £250 but would be willing to stretch a bit for the right scope.

Why straight? It may be easier to sight along them, but you need a taller tripod which will be less stable and looking out of lower level hide windows can become a little tricky.
Good field of view in a zoom is a tricky ask as almost all zooms get narrow at the low end.
Peter

Why straight? It may be easier to sight along them, but you need a taller tripod which will be less stable and looking out of lower level hide windows can become a little tricky.
Good field of view in a zoom is a tricky ask as almost all zooms get narrow at the low end.
Peter
I thought a straight would be easier to use in terms of finding the bird. I struggled with the angled, I know I'd probably learn in time but also thought the straight would be more suited to hand-held use? I think I would most likely use it either hand-held and in hides, rather than standing with a full tripod and even if I did end up going down the full tripod route I am pretty short anyway lol. But please tell me if I am wrong.

That is a tight budget, but you may just be in luck:

I know this is all ultimately personal opinion and preference, but I would say that an angled scope generally makes more sense for the reasons articulated above. Once you get above a certain magnification, hand-holding a scope is more or less pointless in my experience. You are always better finding something to brace your scope - a tree, a branch, a fence, a hide sill, car door etc. With an angled scope, comfortable viewing is possible at a range of heights, whereas a straight scope has to be just the right.
I know everybody fixates on the optical quality of scopes, but having decent support is just as important if not more so. A $3,000 Swarovski on a wobbly tripod will give a far worse image than a far cheaper scope on a rock solid mount.

That looks like a good find, thank you!

I imagine that you would be able to look at those Hawke 'scopes fairly local to you. Their website shows 4 outlets in Norfolk.

I have owned a few pairs of Hawke binoculars and they were great value for money (my current pocket binoculars are Hawke). A good mate had a Hawke 'scope for his first and it performed well.

I imagine that you would be able to look at those Hawke 'scopes fairly local to you. Their website shows 4 outlets in Norfolk.

I have owned a few pairs of Hawke binoculars and they were great value for money (my current pocket binoculars are Hawke). A good mate had a Hawke 'scope for his first and it performed well.
Yes I just had a look too and one of the stores is only a mile away. They don't have the straight version on their website but do have the angled so hoping they have it in the shop so at least I can check out the image, field of view, how stiff the zoom/focus is etc. Just waiting for them to open =)

There is nothing wrong if you prefer straight scopes, I have only ever used straight scopes, but I am not especially tall at 5ft8 so don’t struggle getting a support high enough.

The learning curve to an angled shouldn’t take long though.

Incidentally a straight scope can be better if viewing windows are on the high side, and also if you are able to set it at the right height there is no need to bend your neck/back, so that can be a big plus.

There is nothing wrong if you prefer straight scopes, I have only ever used straight scopes, but I am not especially tall at 5ft8 so don’t struggle getting a support high enough.

The learning curve to an angled shouldn’t take long though.

Incidentally a straight scope can be better if viewing windows are on the high side, and also if you are able to set it at the right height there is no need to bend your neck/back, so that can be a big plus.
I'm only 5'3 so I can't see a tripod being an issue either, but to be honest I'm going to see how I get on without any support first, see when and where I use it the most then I can decide on what sort of tripod to get, either table, full, monopod... I was looking at shoulder pods also.

Thanks again for the find, I just ordered it =D

I thought a straight would be easier to use in terms of finding the bird. I struggled with the angled,

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back