• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Strange bird (?) call - W. France (1 Viewer)

Rotmilan

France
Hello
Does anybody have an idea of which bird could call like that (if it is a bird!)?
Nantes, western France, 23.07.2021 ~01:15 am
Thanks
RM to_identify.png

Attachments

• to_identify.mp3
    145.1 KB

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Rotmilan,
the recording reminded my of Stone Curlews. Their calls can come in a surprising variety (surely because I lack experience with variation), but the quality, including the time it was recorded seems a good fit imo.

The most similar call, that came into my mind is a Black Kite, but:
  • I dont know, if they are calling in the night. Although they call often when coming to evening roosts and at /near dusk.
  • It seems to lack the vibrant/tremolo quality of many, but far from all Black Kite calls
  • the rhytm seems strange to me, I searched at xeno-canto and found this one: XC579213 Black Kite (Milvus migrans)
But I am far from convinced, so I hope for confirmation or correction.

Rotmilan

France
Hi Alexander

Thank you very much, very interesting proposition, I could never have though to Stone Curlew. It sounds so different to the 'classic' call I know! But if you say that they can have have a wide range of variation then, I trust you! Moreover, on XC, I found a record that could indeed match =)

As for Black Kite, that could be possible in terms of phenology, but I think they migrate mostly alone, and one that record, it sounds as if there were two birds... But why not =)

Does anybody else have some supposition?

Users who are viewing this thread