• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Bird from infrared camera, China (1 Viewer)

xuky.summer

The infrared camera we placed caught a strange bird with a blue tail and a black head. It looks like a juv bird. In the short video, it can be seen that it is walking rather than jumping. According to the plumage and body size, this is not an Azure winged Magpie.
900m above sea level, Qingdao, Shandong Province, September 27, 2022 Add two Oriental Turtle Doves for body size comparison
What do you think it is? Thank you very much!
xuky

Attachments

• IMAG0027.JPG
    IMAG0027.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • IMAG0025.JPG
    IMAG0025.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • IMAG0026.JPG
    IMAG0026.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • IMAG0018.JPG
    IMAG0018.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
  • IMAG0028.mp4
    4 MB
We considered the Pale Thrush, but it lack blue tail and black head? If you play the video frame by frame, you can see that its head is really black

I agree it looks like a thrush, based on structure and behaviour. It looks like a juvenile moulting into adult plumage, with spotted juvenile plumage on the head, but also feathers missing on the head so it shows blacker feather bases. I don't think the tail is blue, I think that's a slight illusion from the nature of the photo.

I'm not sure which species, it may be easier to tell by the species that breed locally. But the body pattern does look like a Pale Thrush to me.

The only other possibility I can think of with vaguely similar plumage is a very dull Blue-crowned Laughingthrush, but I think it looks more like Pale Thrush.

OK, Thank you.
The camera only caught some gray-backed thrushes and Pale Thrushes. Here is another juv Pale Thrush which does not show blue tail and black head.

Attachments

• IMAG0630.JPG
    IMAG0630.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0629.JPG
    IMAG0629.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 24
Another thrush question.
Can't orange color show in the camera in night? It seems that there is no color contrast between its flanks and belly. So it's a Gray-backed thrush?

Attachments

• IMAG0119.JPG
    IMAG0119.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0118.JPG
    IMAG0118.JPG
  • IMAG0117.JPG
    IMAG0117.JPG
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back