• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange birds in Ottawa? (1 Viewer)

Rainbowfab

Hi,

I was taking a walk yesterday near the Ottawa river and I met lots of strange birds.

First of all, I saw a cormorant, which I thought only lived near the sea or in groups. Anyone else saw this specie of birds around? I recognized it because of the way it would dry it's wings and I also compared it to a picture in my book of this purpose, and it was it.

Second, I encountered a really special Canadian goose while I was sitting on a rock right beside the river. It would keep looking at me in a strange way while swimming with other geese and when they swim a certain distance, it left the group to come and stand right before me and stare at me. Then, it went back swimming toward it's group and came back a second time! This time he looked very amazed. He came closer and looked like he wanted to approach me more but was unsure. He started making sounds, I would repeat after him and we kept doing this for about a minute.

Then, it's ''friend'' came by to ''pick him up'' and they went back with the rest of the geese. No goose ever showed any interest in me before so that was kind of special. I had no food with me, too. Was it because of my hair? I just dyed them a very bright pink.

Thank you,

Faelle

I am guessing you saw a Double Crested Comoront, they are fairly common in Manitoba, you can see them on most lakes and ponds.
Very interesting Goose behavior. I had a similar experience a few years back when a goose led its common brood from across a large pond and walked ashore just 10 feet from me. It lead its brood of about 30 gosling's up onto the grass to graze. They could have landed anywhere else on this large pond but they veered toward me and came ashore. It was impossible that they couldn't see me even from across the pond.
Although I didn't get the attention you got I still felt like I had witnessed something special.
In case you are unaware Canada Geese have been known to kill dogs and break peoples bones with their wings.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back