• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Strange feather from a medium-large sized bird, Greenville, North Carolina, USA-the house I live in has trees on 2 sides (1 Viewer)

cass32109

United States
If none of you guys mind, I have this bird feather that I cannot identify. Mind you I did not find it today, I didn't even find it. My dad found it one day(not sure how long ago, but I think it was sometime early this year, mid to late last year) and he brought it in to ask if I could tell what it was, I couldn't. He couldn't either, so I decided to start searching that exact day, no results that I could accurately pinpoint to being the feather. I tried again today, nothing still so I decided to ask in places where I can other people look at it and try and help me determine what type of bird it came from, I think it might be from a wing or the tail, it looks like some sort of wing used to flight based on how sturdy it is and the actual length and appearance of the feather. I will provide a picture, don't worry. Any help identifying it will be greatly appreciated, since I saw this feather I have been wondering what bird it came from. all I can tell you is that it most definitely was NOT a small bird. Like the title says, my house is in a part of town where there are just few enough houses to have a line of trees in between each house. I have a line of trees to the back and a line on the opposite side of my house from the driveway. IMG_0864.JPG

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
It's certainly looks like a tail feather but I'll hold off until I do some more investigating. The white parts of the feather from Kevin's link don't seem as large as the feather you posted.

cass32109

United States
Agree. Immature red-shouldered hawk might be a better match though.
huh, interesting. I asked because I usually find feathers I can identify. I never seen a red-shouldered hawk myself. I see vultures usually, cardinals, doves, and other more common birds like that usually.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread