• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange gaps in British county lists. (1 Viewer)

I don't think London is as much as a bird wasteland as people make out. All of the migrants that head down the east coast or just inland will hit the thames at some point and then either cross it or navigate along it. London has numerous parks and bird 'attractions' and certainly enough to feed up hungry migrants for a few days.

I live in the middle (left middle) of the Pyrenees which are a barrier to migrants but there remain routes through or round the mountains.
Fairly nondescript, seemingly, farmland or 'cover' can hold migrants during migration time and sometimes quite significant. Particularly true if weather conditions are holding birds back from moving.

This will not be unique to here. Indeed look at Lisbon where birds heading west hit the sea then drop south and hit Lisbon - probably not dissimilar to London. City centre parks in Lisbon have, and every year always do, thrown up a number of 'rareties'.

I don't think London is as much as a bird wasteland as people make out. All of the migrants that head down the east coast or just inland will hit the thames at some point and then either cross it or navigate along it. London has numerous parks and bird 'attractions' and certainly enough to feed up hungry migrants for a few days.

I live in the middle (left middle) of the Pyrenees which are a barrier to migrants but there remain routes through or round the mountains.
Fairly nondescript, seemingly, farmland or 'cover' can hold migrants during migration time and sometimes quite significant. Particularly true if weather conditions are holding birds back from moving.

This will not be unique to here. Indeed look at Lisbon where birds heading west hit the sea then drop south and hit Lisbon - probably not dissimilar to London. City centre parks in Lisbon have, and every year always do, thrown up a number of 'rareties'.

The London Wetlands Centre has a list of about 254 if I remember correctly according to a birdguides article.

Not a bad figure considering it's probably a 9-5 reserve

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back