• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange looking hen (?) pheasant (1 Viewer)

ahoare

Hello, I spotted what initially looked like a crow in the long grass in my field the other day but to my surprise it was, I think, a hen pheasant. A cock was nearby. I saw it later with a cock bird feeding on the lawn and having binoculars this time, saw its plumage was a very dark blue/purple in the sunlight. Although it had a tail, it was not as long as a normal cock's and seen side by side, I would say it was half the size. I have attached a very short and, I'm afraid, not very good video. Melanistic hen?

Attachments

• IMG_3505.MOV
    7.4 MB
All I can comment on is:
a) the video - which seems to show a normal adult male common pheasant. and
b) that size-comparisons are often inexplicably-odd things, even between birds near each other.

I managed to get closer to them both just now. See attached.

Attachments

• C79ABA15-9AC3-41DC-AD85-E6F745E0E254.jpeg
    C79ABA15-9AC3-41DC-AD85-E6F745E0E254.jpeg
    8.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3525.MOV
    6.7 MB
I managed to get closer to them both just now. See attached.
The dark one seems to have a patch of glossy male-type plumage on its neck and to be otherwise female-type - but darker. I'd've thought males (dark types or otherwise) hatched last year would all be in adult plumage by now, but . . . this is a non-wild population involving selectively-bred birds, so I wouldn't make any assumptions about anything (age or sex) here.
The apparent size difference is due largely to the different degrees of feather-ruffling (the regular-plumage bird is semi-display mode).

Thanks everyone. I’ll check with a local keeper as one of them probably put it down in the first place. We always get survivors/escapees at this time of year.

My parents lived adjacent to a managed moor where pheasants were bred and released (and often wandered into their garden) and I would not be surprised at any plumage there!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back