• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Russian buzzard? (1 Viewer)

G

Gleb Berloff

This bird has sparked considerable controversy. It has been identified as first a sparrowhawk, then a rough-legged buzzard, then a long-legged buzzard. But which one is it, really? I first saw it flying slowly and quite like a buzzard towards a tree, where it chose a branch to sit on for a while. After about three minutes it flew down to the ground and sat there for a long time as well. During this time a raven made an attempt to scare it off. I have never seen any buzzard do this, even the honey-buzzard which I observed in the same region last year. Then it flew up to a tree and sat stationary. Remembering my 2018 Waterbeach rough-legged buzzard sighting, I thought it was it. However, then I noticed the orange buff fox-red tail on the photograph. It seemed large, although I was looking at it from a large distance. Based on my experience with steppe buzzards, this does not appear to be it. Could it be a long-legged buzzard? I find an identical LLB in Lars Svensson's bird guide, and the description almost exactly matches it. I failed to download the photograph here because it says 'invalid file'. It can be found here: http://rbcu.ru/bitrix/components/bitrix/forum.interface/show_file.php?fid=304438

I honestly don't know what can be done with such a shot, regardless of that, it is a Buteo but I can't say more, not sure anyone else will.

Russia is BIG, where was it in Russia?

Last edited:
This was in Solnechnogorsk region, Moscow oblast, on the 17th April. Here are several more photographs. I would be more surprised if it is a steppe buzzard than a long-legged. I have never seen this colouration at all.

Attachments

• DSC04373.JPG
    DSC04373.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC04364.JPG
    DSC04364.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC04361.JPG
    DSC04361.JPG
    484 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC04363.JPG
    DSC04363.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 44
This was in Solnechnogorsk region, Moscow oblast, on the 17th April. Here are several more photographs. I would be more surprised if it is a steppe buzzard than a long-legged. I have never seen this colouration at all.

second pic shows a clear cut underwing pattern of Steppe Buzzard, especially the carpal crescent, Long-legged would show a much larger, darker, oval carpal patch

Hope this helps, always ready to answer more questions and no problem if someone disagrees, especially if the real thing in the field looked different than on not so good pics shown here

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back