• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange tawny pipit - ID help needed - Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

I had this one on 10.06.2021 in a tawny pipit area, but the bird had a different gizz (rather large and dark with strong bill), I first took it for a wheatear of sorts. After checking the photos I saw the characteristic moustachial stripe and completely white t6, but the colours don't quite check out, so I decided to post it here and see what would people with more experience with pipits say. Thanks!

Cheers,
Teo

Attachments

• DSC_3385.jpg
    DSC_3385.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_3386.jpg
    DSC_3386.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • DSC_3388.jpg
    DSC_3388.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_3398.jpg
    DSC_3398.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_3403.jpg
    DSC_3403.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • DSC_3408.jpg
    DSC_3408.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
Hi everyone,

I had this one on 10.06.2021 in a tawny pipit area, but the bird had a different gizz (rather large and dark with strong bill), I first took it for a wheatear of sorts. After checking the photos I saw the characteristic moustachial stripe and completely white t6, but the colours don't quite check out, so I decided to post it here and see what would people with more experience with pipits say. Thanks!

Cheers,
Teo
May I ask you a question Todoroki. I have been trying to identify a plant which I am sure is an accidental here in the UK by some leaves I collected & photo's I took a good while back but without success. The leaves on the shrub in your photo look remarkably the same. Do you know the name of that shrub please.

Thanks

May I ask you a question Todoroki. I have been trying to identify a plant which I am sure is an accidental here in the UK by some leaves I collected & photo's I took a good while back but without success. The leaves on the shrub in your photo look remarkably the same. Do you know the name of that shrub please.

Thanks
Hi Edwin,

well, I sure didn't expect I'd be able to help someone with my (close to non-existent) botany skills on Birdforum, but life is a big surprise. The shrub on the photos is an european smoketree, Cotinus coggygria. It's native to southern Europe and cultivated in the UK. It might still be something else though, but perhaps it will be a good starting point for an ID search.

Cheers

Hi Edwin,

well, I sure didn't expect I'd be able to help someone with my (close to non-existent) botany skills on Birdforum, but life is a big surprise. The shrub on the photos is an european smoketree, Cotinus coggygria. It's native to southern Europe and cultivated in the UK. It might still be something else though, but perhaps it will be a good starting point for an ID search.

Cheers
Appreciated. Checked it out and am familiar with the Smoke tree in our local gardens ... yet my search must go on. Thanks anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back