• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

strange visitor (1 Viewer)

janet.winter

Hi. I happened upon this site while trying to identify a very odd visitor in my Northumberland garden. I haven't a clue what it is and haven't had any luck using identification sites. Anyone recognise it please? Its striking features are: beautiful yellow, burnt orange and black plummage; black head; heavy, finch like black beak; red eyes; strawberry pink legs. It is about the size of a starling.

Janet

Attachments

• P1000796.jpg
    P1000796.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 352
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I don't have a clue but I'll move this to the Bird Identification Q & A where you're likely to get a speedy answer from our resident geniuses.

I've subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

Yes that's definitely a weaver. But that would be about the strangest looking Village weaver I have ever seen (out of thousands in the wild, all across Africa). I am not saying it's not a Village weaver, but if it is, it certainly isn't a typical individual with that mostly black back.

No doubt, Village Weaver.
"Cage bird" doesn´t automatically mean "tame bird", Janet.

From the selection of photos on the link, now that it has recovered from its ordeal, it looks very like the breeding male. We get all sorts along the Northumberland coast - a few months ago we had a desert wheatear in residence on the beach for several weeks.

That one looks like an average Village weaver, of the nominate subspecies if I am not mistaken... in other words it would look like this: http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/village-weaver-ploceus-cucullatus/breeding-male-west-african-population when not taken from a 'dodgy' angle.
It doesn´t look like the bird you linked, because this one has much more black in the lesser wing coverts (hope this is the english name).
Another Village Weaver ssp. with almost black greater wing coverts:
http://www.birdfinders.co.uk/images/gambia/village-weaver-gambia-2005-rspb.jpg

We must not discuss about the ssp. of Janet´s bird, it´s enough to know the species, IMHO.

We must not discuss about the ssp. of Janet´s bird, it´s enough to know the species, IMHO.

As the various ssp of Village weaver differ mainly by the amount of black on the mantle, I thought it might be relevant to point out that your bird is a nominate...especialy so since I posted another bird of the same ssp in a more 'classic' pose for comparison purpose.

The last bird you've linked to has just started its moult to non-breeding plumage (some white tipped median coverts, greyish feathers on the lower neck and uppertail), so the fact that it is mainly 'dirty' dark grey on the mantle is perfectly normal.

The OP is worn as well, that's quite obvious, but it's not in moult as far as I can see, and the back is mostly black not dark grey. On top of that, many males Village weavers show burnt/orange underparts, but in this respect, the subject bird seems extreme: I don't recall seeing a bird with such dark breast.
To sum up, this bird looks abnormaly dark, hence I am inclined to believe some kind of melanism is involved.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back