• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Streak-throated Swallow, Dhaka, Bangladesh (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

Got a few photos of this swallow this morning. I'm pretty confident it's a Streak-throated, but since it's fairly rare here I would appreciate confirmation. Also, I had sent these to a great local birder and he isn't confident on IDing a rarity with these pics. Do any of you have thoughts?

Notes: what first caught my attention was a slightly smaller swallow with a "square" tail. Almost felt like a martin, though I haven't had much experience with them. We lost it after a few seconds, but 20 minutes later we saw it again with a flock of 30 or so barn swallows over some water. We were continually losing and refinding it. When we did get views (including once when it flew within 10 feet of us) we noted that it had fairly dull upperparts especially compared to the bright blue barn swallows and it had pretty much white underparts. Tail was pretty much square with no streamers.

I eventually got a few pics, though not great quality. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• P1040146 (2).JPG
    P1040146 (2).JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 34
  • P1040145 (2).JPG
    P1040145 (2).JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 45
  • P1040144 (2).JPG
    P1040144 (2).JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 29

Users who are viewing this thread