• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stumped PRO Assist Needed (1 Viewer)

NirdBerd

Been birding 1 year, so far been ID'ing successfully until this little guy/gal showed up today.

Spotted in Western New York

Size of a White Throated Sparrow. (what i thought it was until I put binoculars on it, it was on the ground next to two W. T. sparrows double kicking through the leaves) coloration and markings were very distinct, thought I had an easy ID but I cannot find it in my birding guide or googling it.

Head: Brown Crown like a chipping sparrow (looked puffed up a bit), Butter yellow lateral crown stripes
Body: mantle, belly, sides rump, under-tail covets all Butter yellow
Wings: tan to brown, mottled similar to most sparrows
Bill: similar to W.T. Sparrow

Thanks for the help
Stay safe and healthy all

greg

Hi Andy A, I did check out the orioles and its not one of them.

I may have to just keep my eyes on the ground until i see it again and just keep plugging away with research. I was very striking, like i said, i thought it was a WT sparrow but when i put eyes on it the yellow body and stripes on its head was very different then the WT sparrow. the thing that jumped out at me was the brown crown like a chip sparrow and the yellow laterals (front to back) like the WT sparrow.

I love a good mystery.

Thanks for the input Andy

Cheers
Greg

Worm-eating Warbler is very warm color below and has bold head stripes. Might that have been it?

If it was under your feeders, though, that's probably not it.

Bingo! Palm Warbler.

My field guide needs a photo update. Or maybe my description skills need work.

Awesome, I can add that one to my list.

Thx all, much appreciate the help :t:

Greg

Bingo! Palm Warbler.

My field guide needs a photo update. Or maybe my description skills need work.

Awesome, I can add that one to my list.

Thx all, much appreciate the help :t:

Greg

As soon as you said UTCs are yellow... I went to Palm Warbler. There are 2 forms of Palm warbler which may explain why you couldn't match it to the pic in your guide. There is a Western/Brown Palm Warbler which is much duller than the much brighter Eastern/Yellow Palm Warbler. To further complicate things both forms are usually much duller in non-breeding plumage. However both have only yellow on the under tail coverts. See some comparison pics... https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Palm_Warbler/id

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back