• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stupid weekend trip to Tenerife, Canary Islands 26 - 27th July 2014 (1 Viewer)

Have you thought of Aruba. It's in the carribean just above Venezuela. I'd say it's the perfect mix for a family holiday and great birding at the same time. We stayed at the Riu Palace which was an all inclusive resort. It has the beach facing it and various wetlands behind it including the islands main nature reserve the Bubali wetlands. Fantastic birding, herons, terns, skimmers, waders, Anis, Frigatebirds, pelicans, and a roosting osprey everyday not to mention various passerines plus more great birding around the rest of the island too. All the usual beach stuff to keep the kids happy and a compact island so easy to navigate if you hire a car.

Sounds a fascinating place, sadly probably out of my budget but I'm going to do some research.

Same as the Trinidad recommendation.

Thanks both for the info :t:

Am currently "Off Island", and have just read your report Nick. It appears that you have redefined "Day Trip" birding, and in doing so, have taken it to new heights (El Teide...o:)). The cost seems reasonable to me, all those thrills and thankfully no spills on the hairpins, might compare favourably for an adult ticket to Alton Towers. Mind you, a drive from Church Stretton (West midlands) along the "Burway" to Bridges (have done it once, never again!), might have prepared you for your "Hairpin" adventures on Teide. Just goes to show what you can do, in a short space of time...and land Blue Chaffinch. :t:

I was really surprised by the beauty of the higher reaches of Tenerife Ken, just stunning. Well, certainly when you have the area to yourself before the tourist coaches arrive.

Ah the 'Burway' only 30 miles away but have'nt been there for a fair few years. Lovely stretch itself I must admit. Saw some of my first Redstarts there if I recall.

I am not sure they know how to build a straight A road on Tenerife.

Its always nice to venture beyond the main routes wherever you go but my advice for Tenerife is stick to the dual carriagways as much as you can, unless you want to continuously drive bends every 50-100 metres. I do understand that hairpins are necessary going up hill but even on the level they were a constant,

Always interested in learning about hotels like this:sounds like my sort of holiday.
Who did you book it through.
Where do they fly from in the UK?

Booked it with Thomson. Went in May 2011 from Gatwick. Only regret was not going for longer. Had a trip list of 60 birds which wasn't bad for a week on a small island. Anyway it was the quality not the quantity. Highlights were;

Crested Caracara
Burrowing Owl
Black Skimmer
Southern Lapwing
Troupial
Magnificent Frigatebird
Purple Gallinule
Green Heron
Tri-Coloured Heron
Blue tailed Emerald Hummingbird

To name but a few.

Booked it with Thomson. Went in May 2011 from Gatwick. Only regret was not going for longer. Had a trip list of 60 birds which wasn't bad for a week on a small island. Anyway it was the quality not the quantity. Highlights were;

Crested Caracara
Burrowing Owl
Black Skimmer
Southern Lapwing
Troupial
Magnificent Frigatebird
Purple Gallinule
Green Heron
Tri-Coloured Heron
Blue tailed Emerald Hummingbird

To name but a few.

Thanks! I will have a look at at it.

Having a non birding partner, I asked for suggestions of places to go a while back.
Some good ideas can be found here
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=233061
You don't actually say how old your children are and that can have a bearing too. Places like the Gambia require Yellow Fever jabs and anti malaria tablets. Can add a lot to the bill and might not be something that you want to expose the children to anyway. Then there's the expense of getting wherever, VISA requirements, etc etc etc.
The further you go the more expensive it is, as it is in school holidays.
I recently had a last minute holiday to Lesvos followed by a birding specific trip to Bulgaria, both offered some excellent opportunities of birds you won't see in the UK. You can get a package tour to Bourgas on the Black Sea for not too much cash, everything is cheap when you get there and the weather is nice and sunny. Certainly cheaper than some continental destinations and that includes Greece.
I posted Blogs about both here to give you an idea of species you might get an opportunity to see.
http://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk
Hope you find something to suit.
cheers Dave

I must admit, with young kids (10 & 6), I myself am restricted cost wise to Europe, my Mrs works part time so its me who tends to have to pay for these holidays, so its Mallorca (Alcudia), Spain, Bulgaria (Sunny Beach) etc. The RUI Aruba highlighted costs nearly £2000 per person for a week, it does look rather nice I must admit, but I try to get holidays for the 4 of us for much less, I managed to get 12 nights at a 4 star in Cyprus half board with Ryan Air flights for £1400 total for all 4 of us. Cyprus can be ok for migration of course!

But that is why I also do these little short breaks away each year so I can really concentrate on birding.

I am not moaning, I do well I feel. It is a stage of my life where money is comparatively tight. I hope to have opportunity and health long enough in the future to do something like California.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back