• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (1 Viewer)

Binoculators said:
... intention of popping into Sotterley Wood on the way back - drove round Sotterley for ages but couldn't see how to get into the wood...

Ian

Hi Ian, not been there myself so i cant vouch for it but this is from a Lowestoft & district booklet i picked up in Minsmere last(?) year

"Sotterley Park

OS Grid Ref TM452852). A short walk over grassland (can be muddy).
To get there - Take minor road from Carlton Colville through Mutford to B1127. Turn left then right up hill for a mile & half. Park at village hall car park.
Birds mainly woodland sp. tits, finches, woodpeckers etc. Good for Hawfinch & Nuthatch, especially in spring
No facilities. Do not use private road to church and hall but follow footpath over the stile as indicated by signs on the trees.
"

Cheers Karl,

Will have to pop down there soon and have a look. (Hawfinch would be nice!)

Also, has anyone been to North Cove Nature Reserve?(owned by Suffolk Wildlife Trust I think) as this is also very close to Sotterley and looks quite good. They have three or four hides - Woodcock a speciality.

If it is worth visiting (which I am sure it is) I will combine both in a mornings birding.

Any comments?

Ian

Hawfinch have been a bit thin on the ground at Sotterley this winter so are far from guaranteed there. North Cove is a nice, quiet little local reserve, but I've never seen much there in the way of birds. I took a walk there yesterday (it's pretty close to home for me) and saw only a few tits and a brief Kingfisher.

Stuart

Minsmere 11/04/2007

claire78 said:
Off to Minsmere tomorrow for my second visit this year. Can't wait. Will post details tomorrow night!
TTFN
Claire

Had a great day out at Minsmere yesterday. Will post a longer report later on...

Highlight of the day was having a bittern flying over my head. Five or so lifers for me as well as about 10 to add to my 2007 list! A great day. :-O
TTFN
Claire

Minsmere 11/04/07 - Report

Minsmere, Suffolk 11th April 2007

Arrived 9.40am. Weather was warm and sunny. My second trip to Minsmere. I collected a 'What's about' sheet and headed off in the direction of the East Hide. Spotted a couple of MAGPIES over by the sand martin holes, but no sand martins! On my way to the beach and dunes I spotted a ROBIN singing, a male BLACKBIRD foraging in the leaf litter, a male CHAFFINCH pecking in the short grass, plenty of LAPWINGS flying up from the Scrape area and then, at last, my first ever sighting of a CETTI'S WARBLERNEW. I had heard one on my last visit to Minsmere but had not been successful in seeing it! I also managed to get a photo of it (not a very good one though!).

Near the beach and dunes area there were some REED BUNTINGSNEW several STONECHATSNEW, the males singing from the tops of the gorse and shrubs, and CHAFFINCHES.

EAST HIDE

The following species were viewed on the Scrape from the East Hide:-
• BARNACLE GEESE
• BLACK-HEADED GULLS (there were lots and they were very noisy!)
• BLACK TAILED GODWITSNEW (saw at least 10; in breeding plumage; got some good photos)
• RINGED PLOVERNEW (just one on the end of a mudflat)
• AVOCETS
• MOORHENS
• CANADA GEESE
• SHELDUCKS
• MARSH HARRIERS (one male and one female over the reedbeds behind the west hide)
• REDSHANK
• TURNSTONES
• DUNLINNEW
• WIDGEON
• MEDITERRANEAN GULL

NEAR EAST SLUICE

By the pond near the East Sluice I heard (a) BITTERN(S) booming on three occasions. What a great sound! First time I had heard a bittern boom. On the pond were:-
• GREYLAG GEESE (three)
• MUTE SWANS (pair)
• COOTS
• LAPWING (one)
• REDSHANK (numerous)
• TEAL
• LITTLE GREBENEW (one)
• CARRION CROW (two behind pond)
• MALLARD

Walking down towards the South Hide a BUZZARD circled overhead and then started to rise on a thermal.

SOUTH HIDE

The following species were viewed on the Scrape from the South Hide:-
• AVOCET
• BLACK-HEADED GULLS
• BLACK TAILED GODWITSNEW
• GADWALL
• SHOVELLERS
• PHEASANT (walking along the edge of the Scrape)
• SHELDUCK

On the pond behind the hide were:-
• TUFTED DUCKS
• MOORHENS
• COOTS
• WIDGEON
• GREYLAG GEESE
• BLACK-HEADED GULLS

WEST HIDE

The following species were viewed on the Scrape from the West Hide:-
• AVOCET
• SHELDUCK
• GREY HERON (landed over far side of Scrape and was mobbed by Lapwings!)
• BLACK TAILED GODWITSNEW
• LAPWINGS
• CANADA GEESE
• GREYLAG GEESE
• GADWALL
• GREATER BLACK BACKED GULLS
• WOODPIGEON

Shortly after leaving the West Hide a BITTERNNEW flew over.

Grabbed some lunch from the Tea Room and ate it whilst walking to the Bittern Hide. En route saw a couple of GREAT TITS and a few DUNNOCKS. Heard the BITTERNS booming a few more times.

BITTERN HIDE

Not much seen from here. Just a pair of MARSH HARRIERS flying over the reedbeds and a few COOTS.

En route to the Island Mere hide I spotted another CETTI'S WARBLERNEW and a CHIFFCHAFFNEW singing from the top of a tree.

ISLAND MERE HIDE

From here I saw the following:-
• GREYLAG GEESE
• TUFTED DUCKS
• MALLARDS
• CANADA GEESE
• COOTS
• HERRING GULLS
• MARSH HARRIERS
and heard the Bitterns booming.

En route to the Canopy Hide I spotted a ROBIN, heard the Bitterns booming again, spotted an ADDERNEW in the reeds, and found a BLACKBIRD foraging in the leaf litter.

CANOPY HIDE

From way up here I spotted a BUZZARD which was trying to soar but was being mobbed by a CROW instead! In the tree opposite in the uppermost hole was a GREATER SPOTTED WOODPECKER. It was enlarging the inside of the hole and then poking its head out of the hole. After looking around for a while it disappeared back into the hole and then came back out again with a beak full of unwanted tree! After clearing out all the bits of tree that were not required it went back inside to chisel out some more! You could hear the drumming noise from the hide. Whilst up there I also saw some CROWS and WOODPIGEONS. I heard plenty of GREEN WOODPECKER calls and also heard a TAWNY OWL hoot but didn't see either.

Walking along the drive back to the Visitors Centre I spotted two GOLDFINCHES in a tree.

It was then time for a cuppa and a piece of cake in the Tea Room before heading off home at 3.20pm. Out of the tea room windows the CHAFFINCHES, GREAT TITS and HOUSE SPARROWS were feeding from the feeders.

All in all a good day! 47 different bird species; of which 9 were 'lifers' and 16 were new for 2007. From the 'What's about' list I collected at the beginning of the day I had only failed to spot Pintail; Snipe; Bearded Tit; Great Crested Grebe; Water Rail; Pochard; Goldeneye; Water pipit; Green Woodpecker; Treecreeper; Mash tit; Long-tailed tit; Goldcrest; Willow warbler; Jay; Bullfinch; Linnet and Meadow pipit - not bad for a beginner whose only been birding in earnest since the middle of March 07! And I'm sure that a lot of those birds are little brown things that would have taken me an age to id anyhow!!!

I now have 69 on my 2007 list; and 86 on my life list.

Sounds like you had a great day Claire, never heard a bittern booming myself so I think I need to 'arrange' another trip!

That tower hide in the woods is a laugh btw, wouldn't fancy climbing to the top on a very windy day!!

Matt

Totally agree! Bit of a breeze would have the hide creaking and rattling a bit! Either my woodland birding technique is a bit hopeless or you don't actually get to see very much from up there?!? A bit disappointing after all the sights and sounds of the Scrape. But quite peaceful though compared with the noise of the Black-headed gulls and Canada Geese in the other hides.

HAve just seen two Tawny Owls from my front door in the neighbouring woods. Had only gone out to lock the car and was greeted by the sound of a Magpie going nuts in the woods. THen heard a male and female Tawny calling and then saw them flying away from the tree nearest the edge of the wood. Luckily had by binoculars handy in the car so managed to get a good look of one of them. Fab.....

Claire

Last edited:
claire78 said:
Totally agree! Bit of a breeze would have the hide creaking and rattling a bit! Either my woodland birding technique is a bit hopeless or you don't actually get to see very much from up there?!? A bit disappointing after all the sights and sounds of the Scrape..

Claire
It is a bit quiet up there now when i first went to minsmere there used to be feeders and you used to see loads at really close range but for some reason they took them down

Ever made the wrong decision?
was a toss up today whether to go to landguard or alton water for a walk decided to go to alton water which was nice saw a blackcap, little egret heron great crested grebe amongst other things however got halfway round when i got a text from my mate
Wryneck at landguard! Doh!

My partner, Lynn, and I spent a great day at Minsmere yesterday. The weather was warm and sunny with no sign of the dreaded sea fog.

A few Sand Martins were zooming about by the Visitors' Centre, but they don't appear to be nesting in the cliffs at the moment.

On the way to the beach we spotted an Adder basking on the grass next to the path. We heard quite a few Cettis Warblers and eventually managed to spot a couple. Small bird – big noise.

The Scrape Hide was a vibrant as ever with the screaming Black Headed gulls and masses of activity. I couldn't spot anything unusual (but I am a novice at this) but all the birds look really pristine at the moment. We saw a fair sprinkling of Avocets, Redshanks, Godwits, Shovellers etc. and little flocks of Dunlin (I think) zooming about acrobatically, flashing white as they all banked together.

On our route round we saw a few Marsh Harriers, a Little Egret, some Shelduck and Oyster Catchers amongst others.

We made our way back to the Visitors' Centre for a 'comfort break' and a snack. To my bitter disappointment they had sold out of their wonderful spiced apple pie. Shame!

We then walked in the other direction to the Bittern Hide. Although we could hear plenty of Bitterns booming we didn't manage to spot one. The hide was packed and the atmosphere was very hushed and excited. Quite strange.

We left the hide and carried on to the Island Mere Hide. On the way there we got some great views of a male and female Ring Ouzel 'displaying well', which meant that even I could see them, on the short grass in front of some gorse bushes, surrounded by rabbits. Very good!

The Island Mere Hide was empty except for one other couple. I really like that hide – very peaceful and laid back. We could hear some Bitterns booming again and eventually we were rewarded with some close views of a couple of Bitterns flying over the reeds. Fantastic.

We also spent a long time watching a beautiful little Jack Snipe bobbing up and down as it fed on the muddy grass. A lovely bird.

On the road back to the car we spotted a couple of Jays and about a dozen Muntjak Deer in small groups as well as four Red Deer.

We returned home a with a bit of pinkish hue to our faces and feeling pleasantly tired but refreshed.

Ron

Last edited:
Hopped the fence this morning with my bike and had an absolutely superb day along the Suffolk coast

A bit overcast early on and no real surprises in the back roads through Lowestoft, Wrentham & Reydon, but still a few singing Yellowhammers, Chiffchaffs, Chaffinch, Goldfinch etc along the way and an early Sedge Warbler plus one harrier near south Cove.

Song Thrush, a Jay, Willow Warbler, couple of Redshank, Lapwing, calling Green Woodpecker, family of Shelduck along the dusty track & railway bridge to Walberswick, and then got really lucky as i took a break on the Walberswick station commemorative seat - one reeling Grasshopper Warbler in the reedbeds just in front. Very nice.

Took a detour in Dunwich Forest down a Bridleway with countless Blackcaps & Goldcrest singing and soon came to a clearing near entrance 41, where with the sun shining down & the gorse looking and smelling wonderful, midway up a conifer tree sat a singing Nightingale. And as i could think of nowhere in the world better than right there at that moment i took the opportunity of a flask break and listened to it singing. Wonderful.

Dunwich NT, was about to resign myself to failure and put away the bin's when a Stonechat caught my attention at the top of a gorse bush... and right underneath in the same bush were 3 Dartford Warblers. very nice. c8 Sand Martins & 2 Swallows on the beach

Minsmere Canopy Hide. 10 mins- Greater-Spotted woodpecker, Green woodpecker, 2 (totally unexpected) Nuthatch, 2 Jays.

Minsmere 'loop' - cant list everything but - 7 Red Deer, harriers, 2 booming Bittern, pinging Bearded Tits, pr Marsh Tit. Waders inc. Spotted Redshank, Avocet, Turnstone, Knot, Black-tailed Godwit (couldn't find any Bar-tails although i was informed they were certainly there), etc. Several Cetti's in song on the reserve, a few Sedge Warblers and one Reed Warbler. c4 Nightingales in bushes between the cafe and the sea

And if not content with those, passing South Cove again on the way back, i spotted (#75!) a superb Common Buzzard circling over the fields.

Gorgeous sunny day, cracking birds, lovely countryside. Best day of the year so far.

Blimey Karl. I would be happy with that lot in a year.

My own small high spot today was when I was standing in my Kitchen in Hopton this evening and became aware of a noisy bird outside. It turned out to be a beautiful Greenfinch on my neighbour's aerial. A quick scan round with binoculars revealed four others in the trees nearby as well as several Chaffinches, Great Tits and Blue Tits and a Goldfinch.

It was good to see the Greenfinches again, looking so healthy after the parasite scare. In previous years I have always had them feeding on my tatty lawn. It's a good excuse not to cut it anyway.

Ron

Had a nice evening yesterday near hadleigh listening to nightingales and eventually managed to see a couple
One of the birds i want to see this year is a tree pipit does anyone know a good place in or around suffolk to see one?

Had a nice evening yesterday near hadleigh listening to nightingales and eventually managed to see a couple
One of the birds i want to see this year is a tree pipit does anyone know a good place in or around suffolk to see one?

I know a couple of sites in the Thetford area - Ollie's Farm, just off the A11 outside Thetford is a good spot. Another good place to look is the forest track a couple of hundred yards east of Weeting NWT reserve (though I've not visited other yet this year).

You could try Sutton Heath/Common and around Upper Hollesley Common - I've seen them there in the past but they have declined in recent years. I check this area occasionally so I'll post if I find one.

Gi

Melton wildlife

I've been working at Melton for the past few years and have regularly birded the area but it is only in the last 3 years or so I've managed to spend a lot more time with the benefits of subsequently finding more birds and an understanding of the changes in the area over the year.

Another help was to have a bicycle at work permanently allowing to get that bit further afield in my lunch break.

There is a wide range of habitats in the area and I am at times stuck with where to go - for example recently do I keep a check on the river or go up to the heaths, where I've seen Wheatear on passage before, with the hope of coming across one or a Ring Ouzel!

Highlights in recent years including finding a male Smew, Curlew Sandpipers two years running on autumn passage, coming across an excellent area for butterflies including Small Heath and Grayling - species normally up on the heaths though in decline, hearing Cetti's Warbler for the first time this year, finding a female Ring-necked Duck and today the highlight of Spring so far was an adult Little Gull - one of my favourite birds, a first for the patch.

I'll try and update now and then.

Gi

You could try Sutton Heath/Common and around Upper Hollesley Common - I've seen them there in the past but they have declined in recent years. I check this area occasionally so I'll post if I find one.

Gi

thanks for the replies guys
i was thinking of trying this area for nightjars in a couple of weeks have you seen any up there i tried rendlesham forest last year but i was a little late although i heard one i failed to see it so when i'm up there i will keep an eye out
for pipits
is the area you go to in melton by the river just past the railway crossing i've been past quite a lot on my way to the coast and thought it looked quite good perhaps i will stop and have look around on my next visit
cheers

thanks for the replies guys
i was thinking of trying this area for nightjars in a couple of weeks have you seen any up there i tried rendlesham forest last year but i was a little late although i heard one i failed to see it so when i'm up there i will keep an eye out
for pipits
is the area you go to in melton by the river just past the railway crossing i've been past quite a lot on my way to the coast and thought it looked quite good perhaps i will stop and have look around on my next visit
cheers

I haven't tried the area for Nightjars in recent years, they used to be present near the sewage works twenty years ago. Unfortunately there are travellers camping in the area which is probably why I did not have Tree Pipit last year and I do not know what effect they've had on Nightjar. Rendlesham or Blaxhall are good for Nightjar.

Yes it is the area past the crossing - the bridge over the river is Wilford Bridge and is a good area for over wintering waders - Green, Common along with Greenhank. Have a look at my web site below to give an idea of what turns up.

Gi

Just got back from leading a dawn chorus in the local park. A good number of people attended - it had been advertised in the paper which I hadn't realised. Good numbers of common species, including Song Thrush, which I said I'm sure I'm encountering more these days - has anybody else noted if they are increasing? Several Blackcaps and a Green Woodpecker playing hide and seek up in a tree provided some entertainment.

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back