• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (4 Viewers)

It's always when you're not there....My wife looked out the window and said "I've just seen a small bird disappear into the hedge, it had some red in it and a reddish head" Time to get the bird book out methinks.

If you head in to Great Yarmouth from the south along the A12, there is a road to the left at TG514075. Follow the road past the playing field until you see a turn off to your right with parking places. You can carry along to another parking area closer to the river wall at TG510075. Follow the river wall head west for a kilometre or so past Humberstone Farm to an obvious kink in the river wall.

Yes the Shorelarks are still at Covehithe Broad.

Gi

Many thanks connected with the shorelarks on friday, also a couple of snow bunting was a nice bonus

Afternoon,

How does one access the Quay at Beccles? I may have a look for these Scaup before work tomorrow morning.
One of my students said you needed to go past B&M but directions after that were a little fuzzy....

Cheers,
Jim.

Afternoon,

How does one access the Quay at Beccles? I may have a look for these Scaup before work tomorrow morning.
One of my students said you needed to go past B&M but directions after that were a little fuzzy....

Cheers,
Jim.
Hi Jim.
Drive in to Beccles on the back road via Gillingham and its the road on the left after you've gone over the bridge, just before the one-way system starts, sign-posted The Quay. Good luck

Gawp at some Scaup!

The two Greater Scaup were showing well at Beccles Quay today, although they do disappear at times...

Attachments

• BF.jpg
    BF.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 116
  • BF 2.jpg
    BF 2.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 124
  • BF3.jpg
    BF3.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 123
Has anyone clocked the very small yellowish warbler that's been hanging around the Denes in Lowestoft in the bushes by the oval? It's got me scratching my head.

I haven't been that way for about a week Gavin but I have seen Chiffchaffs in Flycatcher Alley several times this winter. Three were reported at Lowestoft North Denes on the 23rd, according to the Lounge Lizards site. Could it be one of them or do you think it is something more interesting?

Ron

Hi Ron,

The only reason I don't think it's a chiff chaff is the call being a single long note. It is quite small and quite yellow/green though. I'll try and get down there again with some better bins tomorrow. And thanks, I'd somehow forgotten about lounge lizards!

Edit: It was still there this morning but I couldn't get so close. I think it might be a wood warbler. The colour and the call are right, it's very 'skulking', even if place and time are wrong. Might be worth a look if anyone's down there.

Last edited:
Parked in a lay by having my lunch, I managed to get a very close look at a Redwing which was foraging on the ground about 2 meters from my van. I've only seen one through my bins, so it let me see for quite a long time how much a pretty bird it is close up. Also spotted woodpecker turned up and made it's way up a sycamore tree, before going away. Some finches of some sort were busy on some old seed pods, but I couldn't see clearly enough without my bins, what they were. Sometimes you can wander into woodland and wait and wait, but right here within meters of a busy rd and only a handfull of trees and my van very very close, it was a busy day. Maybe they know that there is discarded food been chucked from vehicles parked up.

Owls & Waxwings

A solitary Short-eared Owl was huddled down on the saltings at Orford this morning (thanks to John Richardson for pinning it down for us!)

At Kesgrave, at least ten Waxwings feeding on Oak buds...

Attachments

• SEO best.jpg
    SEO best.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 127
  • SEO very best close.jpg
    SEO very best close.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 119
  • WW best 2.jpg
    WW best 2.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 107
  • WW1.jpg
    WW1.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 106
  • WW best.jpg
    WW best.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 110
Great Whites at Lakenheath!

Three birds present today: let's hope they stick around until the Spring!

Attachments

• GWE.jpg
    GWE.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 119
  • GWE fly.jpg
    GWE fly.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 123
  • 2 egrets ground 2.jpg
    2 egrets ground 2.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Egret 2.jpg
    Egret 2.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 103
a visit to thetford forest 27-2-15

I ventured over the border into Suffolk on 27th Feb and spent the day around Mildenhall and Brandon area.
Started off at Mildenhall looking for the often reported waxwing, we told by a house owner it had been in her tree 1/2 hour earlier but we couldn't find it, a report said it was back again about 1/2 hour after we left so not a good start.
Next off to the forest to see if we could see a goshawk and we struck lucky, photo below but rather distant but far better than nothing, also found woodlarks, treecreeper and several goldcrests and a couple of adders!
final stop for the day was Lynford Arboretum hoping to see Hawfinches and Nuthatches and managed both plus a siskin or two. Nothing exceptional considering where we were but I thought a report in the section was well overdue.
2 pics of goshawk (juvenile), plus nuthatch, hawfinch & goldcrest attached

Attachments

• 6811 goshawk.JPG
    6811 goshawk.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 6817 goshawk.JPG
    6817 goshawk.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 7058, nuthatch.JPG
    7058, nuthatch.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 7190 hawfinch.JPG
    7190 hawfinch.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 6849 goldcrest.JPG
    6849 goldcrest.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 129
hollesley common 5-3-2015

another trip into Suffolk last Thursday, once again failed to see waxwings, this time in Ipswich, someone else found them though. Then it was on to Hollesley Common for the great grey shrike (pic attached) which we found almost immediately on the common opp Red Lodge as recommended on all the reports. Several woodlarks showing as well and dartford warblers- often following the stonechats along the fence across the common. not near enough for decent photos unfortunately. also some goldcrests and a sole siskin (plus chaffinches) around a puddle near the car park.

After that it was off to Boyton Marsh for the afternoon (see separate report) although we did return to Hollesley later after going over to RAF Woodbridge to watch an osprey practising on the runway - that's a helicoptery thing (USAF Cv.22) , not the bird of prey. We found the shrike again on our return in the evening so it doesnt venture far

Attachments

• 7246 great grey shrike , hollesley 5-3-15.JPG
    7246 great grey shrike , hollesley 5-3-15.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 114
  • 7296 stonechat.JPG
    7296 stonechat.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 7350 chaffinch.JPG
    7350 chaffinch.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 7356 siskin hollesley.JPG
    7356 siskin hollesley.JPG
    523.3 KB · Views: 109
Boyton Marsh 5-3-2015 (p.m.)

an afternoon spent here last Thursday. Started off with a distant view of a tawny owl holed up (literally) in a large tree and that was before we parked! Yellowhammer in the farmyard hedge and then again on opp side of hedge followed by first of several little egret in adjacent field plus a sole pied wagtail. The first lake had several varieties of wildfowl visible (nothing unusual though)and a stonechat immediately in front of us which posed nicely and some curlews landed in the field to the west of the lake. Then it was up onto the sea wall and a walk to the southern end of the site, tide was receding but a disapointingly low number of waders visible on the foreshore, just dunlin, oystercatcher, redshank, and sanderling noted . On the landward side of the wall large numbers of widgeon on the marsh and a good selection of gulls and wildfowl on the scrapes although nothing unexpected (for the record the wildfowl included canada & greylag goose, gadwall, mallard, shelduck, shoveller, teal and aforementioned widgeon) plenty of lapwings and mute swans on the fields and a single grey heron overflew. A small group of linnets settled in the top branches of a large bush next to the sea wall.
Marsh harrier noted towards Gedgrave marshes on return walk and 4 black tailed godwit on lake near the farm which we didn't see on outbound walk.
A pleasant afternoon in a nice location despite nothing exceptional noted. some pics below

Attachments

• 7419 yellowhammer.JPG
    7419 yellowhammer.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 7532 curlew.JPG
    7532 curlew.JPG
    496.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 7553 stonechat.JPG
    7553 stonechat.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 7594 linnets.JPG
    7594 linnets.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 7711 gBlack tailed godwits & teal.JPG
    7711 gBlack tailed godwits & teal.JPG
    387.3 KB · Views: 148
A great morning/afternoons walkabout, Andy.

It is amazing what you see even in the shortest amount of time.

Nice to see Linnets in their little groups.

Love the Godwit photo

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Two Black Redstarts were around the net posts and caravan park railings at Lowestoft North Denes this morning, although rather elusive at times.

Ron

Attachments

• Black-Redstart-3-15-2-small.jpg
    Black-Redstart-3-15-2-small.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 121
  • Black-Redstart-3-15-1-small.jpg
    Black-Redstart-3-15-1-small.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Black-Redstart-3-15-3-small.jpg
    Black-Redstart-3-15-3-small.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 134
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back