• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (1 Viewer)

For Hopton railtrack park in the large layby by longfulans lane. Then walk along the grassy eastern side first to the end by a house. Then walk through to the other side and walk back, this is when you see the birds though the walking is harder mainly along the edge of a newly ploughed field. Its pretty essential that you are the only one to have walked it recently as many birds flush out and fly high north. Today a large grp of Fieldfare and Redwing were feeding on the stubble on the coastal side. Then many more Redwing were flushing out of the leaside walk along with a fine Short-eared Owl. 8 Brambling showed well. If you visit here its also good to check the radar lodge approch track by the coast here, today many Goldcrest and Robin were newly arrived here and check the large radar lodge perimeter fence for Shrikes etc. The stubble here is traditionally the best place in Suffolk for Lapland Bunting tho none have been seen yet this autumn. It also is a good spot for the likes of Richards Pipit.

Last edited:
Purple Sandpipers

I finally caught up with my first Purple Sandpipers of the autumn at Ness Point, Lowestoft this lunchtime. I believe seven of them have been reported but I only managed to find two feeding with the Turnstones before it started spitting with rain again. Good to see them back.

Ron

Attachments

• Purple-sand-1-small.jpg
    Purple-sand-1-small.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Purple-sand-3-small.jpg
    Purple-sand-3-small.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Purple-sand-2-small.jpg
    Purple-sand-2-small.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 101
I finally caught up with my first Purple Sandpipers of the autumn at Ness Point, Lowestoft this lunchtime. I believe seven of them have been reported but I only managed to find two feeding with the Turnstones before it started spitting with rain again. Good to see them back.

Ron

I use to see these at Gorleston around the pier. Will have to have a look see if they still turn up there

This thread has been as quiet as the area recently. Last Sunday my other half and I walked from Leathes Ham to Oulton Broad. We managed to get distant views of the Great Northern Diver and Guillemot from the railway bridge but the only other interesting bird was a Common Sandpiper at Mutford Lock Basin. It was perched on the pontoon, surrounded by Redshanks but then flew down to feed at the water's edge. It would be interesting to know if it is the same bird which overwintered there last year. A poor record shot is attached.

Ron

Attachments

• Common-sandpiper-2-small.jpg
    Common-sandpiper-2-small.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 97
Happy Christmas!

Hi fellow Suffolk birders,

A very happy Christmas one and all. Pleased to see this thread is just about limping along still!

Lots of good birds in West Suffolk at present with Barn Owl, Short-eared Owl and Long-tailed Duck all seen during December. Looking forward to getting out there and hitting it hard on New Years Day :t:

Good birding one and all.

Grebe-fest at Alton Water

If you can brave the cold, a visit to Alton Water should provide you with all 5 British Grebes: Red-necked Grebe (long-staying and ranging from Larchwood to the Sailing Club); Black-necked Grebe (two at the dam end, yesterday and today); Slavonian Grebe (one close by the shore at the dam end today); Great Crested Grebe (can't miss them); and Little Grebe (a few scattered, mainly at the other end of the reservoir). Oh, and throw in a Great Northern Diver (present yesterday and today) for a bonus.

Stewart

Not been to alton water but got a planned trip on sunday to suffolk so wondering where the best place to park and look for the sav grebes and BN- Grebes looking at google maps i guessing around the lemon hill area many thanks

Not been to alton water but got a planned trip on sunday to suffolk so wondering where the best place to park and look for the sav grebes and BN- Grebes looking at google maps i guessing around the lemon hill area many thanks

The other end is better for the grebes currently- park at the yacht club by the dam.

Waxwing in Ipswich

The Waxwing reported from Ipswich over the last couple of days appears to be the only Waxwing currently being reported in the country. The report says "in the back garden of 19 Marlborough Rd". Can anyone provide more details on how easy (or not) it is to view this bird? I don't fancy the prospect of looking over garden fences and being told to 'sod off"! (Which, sadly, has happened to me before - when birding, I mean, not generally!)

Stewart

Dove Step talk...

Good eve Suffolk Birders,

I am giving a talk to the Stowmarket Wildlife Trust Group on Wednesday night. All very welcome. Full details available here.

Cheers,

Yellow-browed Warbler at Long Melford

A singing male Yellow-browed Warbler was present all of today in trees behind Long Melford sewage works. You may now be used to seeing this species in late autumn, but a singing male in Spring is quite a turn-up. Certainly, this was the first Yellow-browed Warbler that I'd heard in song. It was very interesting to hear the song, but I can’t say that the song was in any way melodic, loud or very distinctive. To be honest, it sounded like an extension of the call. A bit like a Chiffchaff with a throat problem trying to imitate a Goldcrest! The bird was showing very well and seemed less frenetic than the autumn birds that I've seen. I watched the bird late afternoon and the light was not terribly good for distinguishing subtle difference in plumage. But I did sense the plumage was less 'cold' than you would find in autumn birds, which are more likely to be juveniles.

Access to the area behind the sewage works isn't that straight forward. The sewage works are located to the north-west of the town. You can get to the works by leaving Long Melford along the A1029 and turning left down a narrow track called Cranbrook Lane, and then turning left again when you come to a barn. However, this is just a farm track with little room for passing or parking. Alternatively, park in Long Melford, opposite Melford Hall (where there's a car park) and follow the footpath west. Once you find yourself on the path behind the sewage works, look for the spot where the path bends left to follow the line of trees. That's where the bird was today.

Stewart

Last edited:
Saw the pair of Glossy Ibis feeding at Mickle Mear this evening. Many thanks to the fellow birder who let me view them through his scope.

It has been a great year in Suffolk and an exceptional first half of the year in the Lowestoft area. I have already recorded 181 species this year in the Lowestoft bird clubs recording area and am hoping for a good autumn with the record of 218 well and truly on. Highlights have included Blue-winged Teal, Caspian Tern, Cattle Egret, Greenish Warbler, Lesser Yellowlegs and Bluethroat, highlighting what a superb birding location I live in.
I have written a book on birding in Lowestoft which is now available on amazon for any Suffolk birders that may be interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowestoft-...1467636362&sr=8-1&keywords=the+lowestoft+year

Attachments

• Junesample.jpg
    Junesample.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 174
  • book cover.jpg
    book cover.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 153
It has been a great year in Suffolk and an exceptional first half of the year in the Lowestoft area. I have already recorded 181 species this year in the Lowestoft bird clubs recording area and am hoping for a good autumn with the record of 218 well and truly on. Highlights have included Blue-winged Teal, Caspian Tern, Cattle Egret, Greenish Warbler, Lesser Yellowlegs and Bluethroat, highlighting what a superb birding location I live in.
I have written a book on birding in Lowestoft which is now available on amazon for any Suffolk birders that may be interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowestoft-...1467636362&sr=8-1&keywords=the+lowestoft+year

Wow! That is a good start to the year - a really enviable list of species 4 of which would be County lifers for me!

The book looks excellent and congratulations, is it available to purchase from any nature reserves/ book shops at all? If not I will order online.

Pleasant dawn visit to Lackford Lakes SWT reserve today - 2 flyover Snipe, 1 Common Sand and a very confiding Kingfisher (see attached) the highlights.

Good birding :t:

Attachments

• Kingfisher Lackford 15th Aug 16.jpg
    Kingfisher Lackford 15th Aug 16.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Kingfisher Lackford 15th Aug 16 2.jpg
    Kingfisher Lackford 15th Aug 16 2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 153
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back