• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Suggestions for birding in County Sligo (1 Viewer)

McHeath

Supporter
Hi all! I'll be staying near Ballymote for a few days in the second week of September; can anyone give me any tips regarding good birding possibilities? Would be nice to get to grips with some seabirds/waders, with which I haven't much experience... will be reliant on public transport, but am also prepared to walk all day.

Many thanks in advance
Andrew

Sancho

Supporter
Hi McHeath, get a copy of 'Finding Birds in Ireland' by Eric Dempsey. It gives a breakdown of all good sites county by county. I have a copy someplace, I'll have a shufti tomorrow and see if I can find it.

McHeath

Supporter
Thanks Sancho! I found the relevant forum here for the individual counties of Eire, but it's hardly being used (note the thread creation dates) ... Not that there are any viable alternatives, I found this link:

I thought that maybe the Eire birdwatchers are boycotting a UK site, but if so, there doesn't appear to be a good alternative. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong, my ancestors came from Dublin.

Sancho

Supporter
Hi McHeath, no, there's no question of a 'boycott', there aren't many birders in Ireland, a few hundred at most I'd say. A 'big twitch' might attract anything up to a dozen people! Most birders here know their own sites as well as the more distant ones, and just get on with it fairly quietly, or communicate via their own text groups. Irishbirding.com has daily reports of rarities and not-so-rares. The book I mentioned lists twelve sites in Sligo. If winds are NW, seawatching might be reasonably good at Mullaghmore and Ballyconnell. Drumcliffe Bay is good for waders, as is Ballysadare Bay, although it's a little early I think. If you have time, and conditions are right, you could travel further west to Kilcummin Head in Mayo for some serious seawatching. So far we haven't had much of the required NW winds...I spent a couple of uneventful mornings at the Bridges of Ross, County Clare, in late August!
(Edit...sorry, I forgot the bit about using public transport. Kilcummin Head is out then. I don't know anything about buses etc. in Sligo:()

Last edited:

McHeath

Supporter
Thanks again Sancho, that's all a great help! The book looks to be lovely and very informative; I'm going to have to get it and plan a longer Ireland trip (something I've been wanting to do for decades anyway). I'll be back on Sunday week and let you know how it went; as a country-bred but now long term city dweller I'm inordinately excited about just getting out into the wilds of Sligo for a few days!

McHeath

Supporter
I promised to get back to you, so here it is - turned out unexpectedly, but it was brilliant! Thanks again for all your help - the road trip for next year is already in the planning...

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread