• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer Drought and Fall Migration (1 Viewer)

Streesh

A large part of New Jersey has had an abnormally dry summer. The drought is not particularly alarming for humans here - yet - as there was abundant rainfall all last year through spring. But plants are under stress. Many trees are dropping leaves. And it seems to me that insect noise and numbers are way down. How this will impact fall migration I'm not sure - shorebird migration is underway, and may be a bit delayed this year. For landbirds the lack of water may concentrate them around any available water. I viewed a good number and variety of birds bathing in a not-terribly-big puddle today and a wildlife management area, including a very young brown thrasher.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back